Macbook Pro battery help

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by flipflop4, Feb 11, 2010.

1. flipflop4 macrumors newbie

Well a few weeks ago i spilt a whole glass of water over my macbook. I tipped it upside down immediately to tip the water out, and it turned off. I then turned it back on to save my work as I am at uni and couldn't afford to use it (I know that was a really stupid thing to do but I didn't realise at the time...:()

I took it to the apple retailer and they said it would be a write off so I bought a new one straight away. However I turned the water damaged one back on after drying it by the radiator for a week, to find that it works perfectly... apart from one thing...

The battery does charge, but extremely slowly. I left it plugged in overnight and it only got to about 30%. It also loses charge too quickly when turned on.

Now what i want to know is, is this a problem with the motherboard, or the battery? I put the macbook on ebay saying that the battery just needed replacing, but was informed by another ebayer that it could in fact be the moterboard. I was wondering if anyone knows if there is a way I can check myself if it is the battery or the motherboard? I have tried resetting the pram and the system management control with no luck. Would be really grateful of any advice as someone wants to buy it but I would really like to be able to tell them if the problem is with the battery or logicboard because obviously it will make a lot of difference to the repair!! :)

2. gonewestcoast macrumors member

What model of Macbook Pro? If it's Unibody, good luck.
    If not, find someone who has a working battery and swap with them for an hour or two to see whether or not it's the battery or the charging circuit.

My money's on the latter though.

3. flipflop4 thread starter macrumors newbie

It is the unibody model 13inch macbook pro. Why did they make it so difficult to get into?! :mad:

Can I still try a working battery in it as I have 2 other macbooks the same? Or would that involve cutting bits and resoldering? (Sorry if that is a silly question I honestly know nothing about what goes on inside computers)

Is the charging circuit part of the logic board?