Macbook Pro Battery Help!!

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Carmy, Jul 5, 2010.

1. Carmy macrumors member

Hi,

I use my MBP all the time as I work on it and go online at night too. I have had it 10 months and have 228 load cycles.

I checked my battery health earlier and it was at 87%..not great, but manageable but I just checked now and it's gone from 87% down to 47%?!?! How is that possible.

[​IMG]

I have Apple Care, but I live in Turkey and although they have Apple Stores here, they don't replace batteries or do any repairs, everything gets sent to a different country so I'm told.

I've done the thing suggested on Apple's site where you should run the battery down completely and then leave it for 5 hours and then fully charge, at least once a month so what am I doing wrong?

Is 47% normal for a 10 month old MBP?

2. TZRaceR6 Guest

TZRaceR6

Not normal. Could be a glitch. Have you tried restarting the computer, to see if the issue remains? Try uninstalling coconut battery and reinstalling?

Has anything abnormal happened to the computer recently?

3. aeboi macrumors 65816

aeboi

not normal if indeed, coconut battery is reporting correctly

4. Carmy thread starter macrumors member

Hi,

I restarted it and it's the same. It's not only Coconut battery saying that, iStat says the same.

Nothings happened that I can think of, except it's very very hot here at the moment so i'm using it in high temperatures...I don't know if that has anything to do with it.

I'm glad you're saying it's not normal, as my boyfriend thinks i'm being silly worrying about a battery. :eek:

5. TZRaceR6 Guest

TZRaceR6

I def know how hot it gets in Turkey (and the rest of the middle east) and while high temps are not good for batteries, you should not have seen such a significant drain so quickly. Apple has had issues with previous MacBooks (and even iPads) having issues with the batteries swelling. Might not be a bad idea to spend 5 minutes taking the back off and just having a look and see if things look normal. It's only 10 small phillips screws on the back (assuming you have the newer unibody style). If not, I think it is even easier on the pre-2010 MBP's to get to the battery.

6. Carmy thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for your reply, I'm afraid if I open it up I wouldn't know what to look for :p (technobimbo here!)

I guess i'll just call the Apple shop here tomorrow and hope they will do something.

Although it's not normal to see such a huge drop so suddenly, maybe I haven't been looking after it properly...I read A LOT about the battery when I first got it, and I read so many conflicting views so tbh I was pretty confused. I started letting it run down fully, then charging it up, then unplugging when it got to 100% then letting it run all the way down to 1%.

Now i'm reading you should never do that with these batteries and you shouldn't let it get lower than 20%.

What's true?

7. TZRaceR6 Guest

TZRaceR6

Only thing you would be looking for is to see if the battery is swelling up (looking bloated). If it is, this could be the cause of your problem.

As for cycling the battery, some say to do it and others so it doesn't matter. Personally, I'm not convinced about cycling the battery. I usually end up getting a new laptop every 3 to 4 years, so not a concern to me. I use my laptop as I want without worry, although it does happen to get cycled every now and again, just because I'm off the charger quite a bit.

8. Meever macrumors 6502a

Have you tried recalibrating you battery by draining it all the way? If it reads 47% again you are definitely going to want to get to fixed. A battery rated for 5 years shouldn't be at less than 50% after less than a year of use.

9. Carmy thread starter macrumors member

It's just gone down to 30 PERCENT!!!!!! So in a day it's gone from 87 -> 47 -> 30! :(:(:( It now lasts less than an hour.

[​IMG]

I called Apple and they said I need to bring it to them, they will test the battery and if it's faulty (which it obviously is!) and if it is they will replace the battery free of charge because of Apple Care.

What proof do I need to bring with me that I have Apple Care???

All I have with me here is the booklet (Apple Care protection Plan) with my sticker with the registration number of my MBP apple care. Pleaseeeee tell me that's enough????

:(

10. carlsorff macrumors newbie

If your Macbook Pro is 10 months old, the computer is still under the initial year warranty, so you dont need any apple care. And remember, you should activate apple care once the year warranty period is finished.

11. Carmy thread starter macrumors member

I already activated it 3 months after I bought it, the guy in the store didn't tell me I shouldn't?

I thought ''you can only activate AppleCare within the initial 1 year warranty period.'' at least that's what I keep reading online.

12. Carmy thread starter macrumors member

Ok, I have the worlds weirdest battery ever. Now it's at 98%..it hasn't been that high in at least 2 months, staying at 87%.

I haven't done anything to it.

:confused::confused::confused:

[​IMG]

13. carlsorff macrumors newbie

yo can activate apple care after your initial year warranty. Of course u can do it before, but I dont see the point in wasting 3 months of apple care if you are covered by your warranty anyway.

Glad your battery is back to normal.

Cheers.

14. aeboi macrumors 65816

aeboi

no... the 3 years is from when you bought your macbook pro, it doesn't matter when you activate it, won't make any difference

15. carlsorff macrumors newbie

Apologizes. You are right, aeboi. I suposse is better for apple to advertise the apple care as "3 years warranty" when is really 2 years after the initial year warranty.

Salut.

16. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

You're not wasting it. Also, your telephone support expires after 90 days, unless you extend it with AppleCare.
    It's not advertised that way:
    http://www.apple.com/support/products/mac.html

17. Carmy thread starter macrumors member

I just thought i'd update this thread. I went to the Mac shop here in my city in Turkey just over a month ago. They tested my battery & charger and agreed that the battery was faulty.

They ordered a new battery for me, but as it had to be shipped from America I would have to wait 4 weeks. Slightly long, and weird that they have no batteries in this country, but not a huge problem as I could carry on using the faulty battery as normal until it arrived.

2 days ago they rang and said they had my new battery, so I went to the shop and left it for an hour and now I have a brand new battery. 0 cycles, 7052 Battery Cappacity & 100% health. Yipee.

Thanks again for your replies.

Carmy.

18. Syonidism macrumors regular

are you from istanbul? which apple store did you go to? Anatolian side or European side?

ive had my macbookpro for 5 weeks and it already says %99.

kinda OCD on my part maybe but 5 weeks and 5 battery cycles should not diminish the battery by %1 imo, if this keeps up im going to have a horrid battery (%50)by the time this computers 1 year old.

my old mbp with the defective 8600 graphics card had a motherboard changed last year (2nd year) am i going to have to go through this again??!

19. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

This should answer most, if not all, of your battery questions: Apple Notebook Battery FAQ

20. Carmy thread starter macrumors member

Merhaba,

No i'm in Izmir. :)

yes I have no idea why but i'm totally OCD about everything to do with my mac...it actually drives people nuts. The guy in the Apple shop thought I was crazy as i watched him carry my mac away and I looked like a mother leaving her child.

My battery was great in the beginning and even after 9 months of constant use it still said 100% health so yours shouldn't be at 99% but try and do that thing where you drain the battery, leave it for 5 hours and then fully charge it up..maybe that will make it go back to 100%.

Kendine iyi bak ve Hayırlı Ramazanlar.