MacBook Pro Battery Identity Crisis...

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by jpvaz, Jan 19, 2009.

1. jpvaz macrumors member

Since 2 weeks ago, my laptop's battery has developed a small "identity crisis" syndrome...

Usually MacBook Pro's are shipped using this:

[​IMG]

But mine some times thinks he has this:

[​IMG]

And other times, he thinks he has this:

[​IMG]

Need Prof?!?

Here it is:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

How much do you think i can get from Apple to teach them how to transform a 5600mhA into a 65076mhA battery with no physical intervention what so ever?!?

2. raymondu999 macrumors 65816

3. raymondu999 macrumors 65816

I think your innovation beats the new 8-hour battery life. Hands down. Let's have 50 hours!! Oh, and thanks for helping me stall for time, while I finalize my arc reactor spec to be used in notebooks next year:p

4. jpvaz thread starter macrumors member

Almost forgot to add... In these 2 weeks i've calibrated the battery 6 times (according to the apple official instructions consisting off: use the computer 'till it runs out of battery power and goes to sleep, then let it rest like that for 6 hours (i usually left it like that over night with a 8 hour plus average) then connect the charger cable and wait 'till the charger light goes from orange to green and then use the computer).

And... 8 hours battery life?!? that's for beginners... last time i looked i had 11 hours estimate battery life !!! Will take a screen shot of that estimate next time :)

5. bizzle macrumors 6502a

Sounds like your battery's internal circuitry is flaking out. Your battery is bad.

6. jpvaz thread starter macrumors member

I agree.

The "funny" thing is that Apple says the battery is only replaced if something happens during the 1st year of warranty, and since my MacBook is 14 month's old, looks like i'll have to spend 135€ ($175 US) on a new battery... :mad: :( :( :( :mad:

7. lscangus macrumors 6502

Apple is pretty bad at making batteries. I once got a battery for my powerbook, 4 months later, the chip inside went crazy. It become a capacitor,, instant charge and discharge

8. kastenbrust macrumors 68030

kastenbrust

It was still covered by warranty, please tell me you got it replaced. :p

9. lscangus macrumors 6502

The battery i got is an extra battery, and they only come with 3 months warrenty i was told.

10. kastenbrust macrumors 68030

kastenbrust

All Macbook batteries are covered by the computers standard 1 year warranty, and for a further 2 years after that if you purchase Applecare (3 years total).

Unless:
    1) Its over 300 charge cycles
    2) The computers warranty has been voided

11. lscangus macrumors 6502

that one is an extra battery which i bought after the apple care is finished

12. jeffy.dee-lux macrumors 6502a

i think you should bring it in to an A store anyways. There's always a chance this isn't a problem with the battery, maybe you'll get a replacement battery and the problem will persist. I'm just not sure how much of those calculations are down to the battery itself, or whether the computer itself takes care of that. Just something to keep in mind.

13. jpvaz thread starter macrumors member

I agree with you, but in Europe the warranty is 2 years, not 1. It's the law in here, and not even Apple can top that.

I have had confirmation by Apple that my computer has 2 years warranty, but they state that the battery is only covered on the 1st year....

14. jpvaz thread starter macrumors member

I understand what you're saying... and that thought had crossed my mind before... but i realy hope it's only the battery that need's replacing, at the moment this is my only computer (i'm waiting for the new iMacs and Minis to come out) and my computer is my work tool...

And we don't have a Apple Store in Portugal, the closest one is in the UK i think... :( :( :(

I think Apple still thinks Portugal is a small market and that does not justify opening a Apple Store...

On the other hand... i'm thinking about changing my laptop's name from "Fry" (futurama reference) to "Portable Nuclear Power Plant" (due to this very high end 65337mhA battery)...

What do you guys think?!? :)

P.S.: just contacted a friend that has the same laptop as me, so i will be testing that teory (is it just the battery or the battery + micro processor on the machine?) this week.

15. guest8t88 macrumors member

My first laught this year, nice thread starting.
    Bad thing for your battery, but I enjoyed your presentation.

16. Kahalu'u Bob macrumors 6502a

Kahalu'u Bob

Extended Battery Warranty for Macbook Pro

Apple has extended the warranty for the battery for your Macbook Pro to two years. You can search the threads here for a link.

I received a new battery for my 18 mo. old Macbook Pro yesterday. My battery had been fine until it suddenly dropped to 28% efficiency after only 72 cycles.

It took a while to work through this with the Applecare folks, and they started with the position that batteries are only warranted for 1 yr., even with Applecare. But after 37 minutes of discussion, they agreed my battery was covered by the extended warranty.

Here is a link to Apple's statement on these defective batteries:

http://www.apple.com/support/macbook_macbookpro/batteryupdate/

Good luck!