Macbook Pro Battery Issue

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by myshkin, Jun 14, 2009.

1. myshkin macrumors newbie

I have a 20 month old macbook pro 15". My battery a couple months ago started dying about 10 minutes after unpluging. It just shuts off suddenly, and if i try to restart it boots for a second or 2 then shuts off again. When its running the time goes down correctly for example it starts at 2:40 after 10 minutes it reads 2:30. When i plug it back in sometimes it doesnt turn back on until a few minutes later. Also when i turn it back on it shows the battery almost fully charged where it died.
    I downloaded coconutbattery and have istat. Both show the battery with 70% health left and 3900mah

heres the profile on it:

Battery Information:

Model Information:
    Serial Number: Sony-ASMB012-371e-9c9f
    Manufacturer: Sony
    Device name: ASMB012
    Pack Lot Code: 0003
    PCB Lot Code: 0000
    Firmware Version: 102a
    Hardware Revision: 0500
    Cell Revision: 0303
    Charge Information:
    Charge remaining (mAh): 3949
    Fully charged: No
    Charging: Yes
    Full charge capacity (mAh): 3949
    Health Information:
    Cycle count: 175
    Condition: Check Battery
    Battery Installed: Yes
    Amperage (mA): 78
    Voltage (mV): 12435

2. qpid macrumors regular

Hmm could be a few different things.

1. Does your computer ever shut off without the battery plugged in? Try removing the battery and using just the cord and see what happens.

2. Have a friend's battery you could borrow and test with that?

3. Does your battery show any physical deformities?

4. Also have you kept up with your software updates? There are a few battery firmware and smc fixes that have been out that may fix your problem.

3. chaos86 macrumors 65816

chaos86

I've had the same situation. Apple genius said that if it's less than 300 cycles, and the capacity is less than normal (less than about 80%) then they replace it.

4. myshkin thread starter macrumors newbie

I unfortunately don't have applecare. I spaced it out bought it a day late, and they sent it to me. Then i got a call 2 weeks later saying i couldnt be covered. They refused to give me a break seeing it was only a day, and it already shipped.

Anyway the battery doesn't appear to be odd in any way. I have stayed on top of updates. I upgraded to leopard awhile back and i have considered installing tiger again just to see. It seems like i should still get an 1:30 - 2:00

WHen i first unplug it says 2:40.

5. Erasmus macrumors 68030

Erasmus

I'm having a similar problem, actually, but not so quickly. My computer just turns off once the battery gets to about 40% or so. iStat says it's done 272 cycles, and health is down to 65% at the moment, but I don't trust that number. I'm sure I remember seeing less than 50% before.

It's almost as if the battery, although with sufficient charge, can't provide enough juice quickly enough to keep the computer running once the capacity decreases too low. Maybe most of your battery cells, and some of mine, are dead or damaged?

6. mrsir2009 macrumors 604

mrsir2009

Test it with other batteries, if the problem is only with your battery you will have to get a new battery. If the problem persists then its best to take it into your Apple Store.

Good Luck!