Macbook Pro battery issues/question

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by BizzyLeo, Sep 9, 2011.

1. BizzyLeo macrumors newbie

Aug 27, 2011
    I notice that my battery doesn't last the 7 hours like Apple advertises. I know that 7 hours is a base point and that the battery will most likely be less than that but my battery doesn't even get to 4 hours most of the time.

I also notice that my Macbook Pro gets really hot. If I use it on my laps, I usually put a book or something so that the computer is not touching me (and keep my heat from hindering its cooling).

As a side note, I keep the screen brightness at less than 50%. I try to stay in a cool area when I use it because hot computers make me uncomfortable (lol). And I usually go online (facebook, email, googling stuff) or look through my pictures. I'm still 'moving in', so I'm trying to tag people's faces using iPhoto. Considering these things, should I expect more out of my Mac's battery or is something wrong?
  2. miles01110 macrumors Core

Jul 24, 2006
    The Ivory Tower (I'm not coming down)
    Battery life is dependent on usage. More intensive applications obviously mean less battery life. It doesn't sound like you have any issues with your battery, merely a misunderstanding of how computers use power.
  3. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

May 16, 2008
  4. Aldaris macrumors 68000

Sep 7, 2004
    Salt Lake
    Always to the rescue!
  5. shardey macrumors 6502a

Jan 28, 2010
    When I am at school I turn my brightness down to 1 notch, have Word open taking now, and browse the web (non flash), I can easily get over 8 hours.

The higher the brightness, the heavier the CPU intensive apps (GPU as well), the less your battery will be.