Macbook Pro Battery Life Indicator Board - What does it do?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Reussner, Dec 6, 2012.

1. Reussner macrumors newbie

I have a 2009 Macbook Pro. I realize the little LED's on the side of the laptop tell me how much life the battery has when pressed but I am wondering what other tasks get carried out in there.

Recently my battery stopped working. I had an "X" in the battery icon and the battery said "no battery available". So I ordered a new battery and replaced it only to find that it did not detect the new battery either. I must admit I was a bit worried. So I took it out and looked for other causes to my problem. When I removed the indicator board I could see that is was totally corroded and I ordered a new one. I have not yet installed the new one and I will re-post my findings, however, what other problems might be caused by this board failing? Does anyone out there know all the tasks this thing carries out?

I have another laptop that forgets the time periodically as if the battery was totally drained even though it is still fully charged. Might this also be the root of that problem.

2. Reussner thread starter macrumors newbie

"X" no batteries available - FIXED

Replacing the battery indicator board solved my problem. Everything now works great. I am still wondering what other tasks are carried out in this board. However, if you were like me and the battery won't show up it is certainly worth trying a new indicator board. It cost $8.00 from ebay.

Good luck all.

3. marcbrett macrumors newbie

Battery Life Indicator Board Replaced but still X icon

Similar problem. My battery icon has the X and no battery installed.

I check and found that the Battery Life Indicator Board was also corroded. I unplugged the the board from the main logic board and everything work find for 2 days. Than back to the X. I installed the new Battery Life Indicator Board and did the SMC/PRAM resets but no change.

So it the battery or Logic Board?

4. Brian Y macrumors 68040

The only thing left is the MLB.

And for the record, the battery indicator board also acts as the sleep sensor.

5. marcbrett macrumors newbie

So little hope that the battery has been compromised do to the bad Battery life indicator? The battery in 12 month old but had 197 cycles. I think do to the bad indicator board.

6. Jexta macrumors member

It's not impossible, but highly unlikely that the battery indicator board has caused any issues with the battery. Likely whatever caused the corrosion on the board has caused issues with your logic board aswell.

As mentioned, the battery indicator board is also the sleep sensor, so if you have it disconnected, make sure you manually put your machine to sleep before closing the clamshell.

7. Brian Y macrumors 68040

Best thing to do IMO is to take it to an Apple store.

They can test these parts with batteries they know work, etc, and may save you a fortune (you've already wasted money on a battery).