MacBook Pro Battery Life Problem

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Cookiemonster, Dec 8, 2008.

1. Cookiemonster macrumors regular

Cookiemonster

Greetings everyone,
    Just was looking for some advice in to my situation. I've had my macbook pro for a little over 13 months and in the last 2-3 weeks the battery has gone from okay to really bad, Im reading at 24% battery health, under 57 charge cycles and Full charge capacity (mAh): 1445.
    Is there anything I can do? I took out the battery and tried to reset the system but still nothing? Help?

I dont think its acceptable for a battery to be this shot under so few battery cycles? How do I improve health and capacity? Thanks.:confused:

2. kobefan234 macrumors 6502

kobefan234

Wait your current battery capacity is 24% and thats under 57 cycles? If thats the case then you have a faulty battery. Take it to a apple store and get it replaced!;)

3. infernohellion macrumors 6502

4. smokedog macrumors regular

How did you manage to just do 57 charge cycles on 13 months old laptop. My MBP is 2 weeks old and I have done 23 cycles :(

5. orpheus1120 macrumors 65816

orpheus1120

Not just the software update. This is a service bulletin by Apple. If your battery exhibits any of the symptoms, you can get it replaced.

6. rychencop macrumors 65816

rychencop

call applecare, they will send you a new one. and when you receive it follow the operating instructions on the apple site.

7. Cookiemonster thread starter macrumors regular

Cookiemonster

Hi guys,

I tried downloading that software update thing from Apple- but my computer says that I dont need it- :rolleyes:
    Will this be a problem if I do not have applecare? This is a defect on their behalf if Im not mistaken, right?
    I think my best bet is to call them or drag it to an apple store. I'll update

8. orpheus1120 macrumors 65816

orpheus1120

You mac should already have the updated battery software, so you don't really need it. Your battery surely falls within the "battery exhibits low charge capacity/runtime when using a fully charged battery with a battery cycle count of less than 300" category.

I would give Applecare a call and let them know about your issue. Quote the technical bulletin posted. Although the best thing of course is go see a genius at an apple store. Remember to print out the technical bulletin in case they are not familiar with it.

9. FinalCutJay macrumors member

My MBP 2.53GHz is about 6 weeks old and seriously the battery sucks. No literally it sucks all of its power out within 45 minutes of gaming. I was at 90% turned on WoW to do something real fast, well real fast turned into 45 minutes and when i closed out the battery life at 25%

I noticed if watching a DVD it drops about 1% every 2 minutes and on my hour train commute home working in After Effects i can burn through almost 50% of the battery.

I leave the machine on better performance, generally work with the keyboard lights off, and screen brightness is about 2 from off. I just can't believe the better video card is burning up that much juice.

I've also noticed from time to time when i close the lid and put the sucker to sleep it keeps on going sometimes i come back an hour later and its hot enough to fry an egg and oh look battery life is at 5%.

Just checked the system profiler
    ---------------------------------
    Health Information:
    Cycle count: 8
    Condition: Good
    ---------------------------------

Is the 9600 really that much of a battery beast? anyone have links to tests?