Macbook Pro Battery Life Sucks

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by thetechfixer, Aug 2, 2011.

1. thetechfixer macrumors 6502

thetechfixer

I have a early 2011 13" macbook pro. A week or 2 ago the battery gave me about 7 hours, now it only gives me about 3 and a half hours? Is there something wrong with my battery?

2. simsaladimbamba

image below uses sorting by CPU as an example
    [​IMG]
    Further reading:
    ______________________________________________________​

3. thetechfixer thread starter macrumors 6502

thetechfixer

Does not say anything

It looks like anything, could it be that i have upgraded to lion

4. BiggAW macrumors 68020

Reboot, calibrate and look at settings like power management, screen brightness, and the like. Wifi, bluetooth, and getting a suntan from your screen won't be nice to the battery.

5. pcomac macrumors regular

what does calibrating battery do? i have 2011 13" base line MBP and the battery last like 4 hours which sucks when compared to the 2010 15" MBP which last 7 hours!! actually, the 2010 MBP fluctuates between 6 ad 8 hours... is this normal?

6. GuitarG20 macrumors 65816

GuitarG20

It's Lion. Most people are getting much worse battery life in Lion, me included.

7. gorskiegangsta macrumors 65816

gorskiegangsta

Likely not. Battery life will depend on your usage. Running CPU/GPU intensive tasks will decrease battery life. As simsaladimbamba suggested, try to pinpoint what's using your CPU (and how much). Also, you may want to check your battery status by opening System Profiler (System Information in Lion) and selecting the Power tab under Hardware then see what your battery's Full Charge capacity is vs Design Capacity; you can also use CoconutBattery to do that.

It could be. After upgrading and/or reinstalling Mac OS, finder will take some time to re-index your Hard Drive, which will require quite a bit of system resources, thus decreasing battery life for the time being. As always in a case of OS reinstall/upgrade, the system will need time to "settle down". Under processes, look for mdworker - if it's using quite a bit of CPU, that's Finder indexing.

Calibrating a battery corrects the system's reading of the actual remaining battery capacity.

The 2010 and 2011 models have the exact same battery of the exact same capacity. The 2011 models did ditch a separate GPU chip for an integrated one but the overall TDP remains the same, so is battery consumption, meaning that the 2010 and the 2011 models should have [roughly] the same battery lives. That being said, battery life will depend on what you're doing on the computer. If you are concerned about your battery life, download and install CoconutBattery.
    As a point of reference, here's my battery info (2011 Macbook Pro, Core i5; around 4 months old)

Attached Files:

8. Blondie :) macrumors 6502a

Blondie :)

It's definitely the fact that you upgraded to lion. All you need to do to correct the issue is reset your SMC. Instructions to do so can be found here: http://support.apple.com/kb/ht3964

I dunno what the issue is exactly, but as soon as I reset my SMC, my battery life improved from 3.5 hours to 6 hours under regular use.