Macbook Pro battery life with Ivy Bridge?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Juan TS, Sep 12, 2011.

1. Juan TS macrumors member

In an estimation, how better would it be an actual '11 Macbook Pro battery life with the Ivy Bridge processors?
    Supposing they now have 7 hours with the Sandy Bridge, would they have like 10 hours with the Ivy? More? Less?

2. Mr. Retrofire macrumors 601

Mr. Retrofire

With the other (current) components:
    Around +20 percent (= 8,4 hours), based on the current 7 hours

If they redesign the MBP, then probably much more (up to +100 percent). But Lion is not very efficient, so i doubt that you can use your new IB MBP longer than 4-5 hours.

3. Juan TS thread starter macrumors member

With longer than 4-5 hours you refer to the total hours? Or more 4/5 hours to the actual battery life time? Meaning it will probably have 11-12 hours?

4. DWBurke811 macrumors 6502a

By 4/5 he means total time, not added to something.

As for my guess, since I don't work for Apple and have no idea, I'll just say better than the current ones.

5. Juan TS thread starter macrumors member

I really doubt they will decrease the Macbook's autonomy (again). Hope 10 hours.

6. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

Why wish for 10 hours when you can wish for 100 hours???

7. Tanax macrumors 6502a

Because it's unrealistic? :rolleyes:
    In that case, why wish for only 100 hours when you can wish for infinite batterylife???

8. Juan TS thread starter macrumors member

Why wish for infinite battery life when you can wish for the perfect Macbook Pro, with infinite battery life and all that magical stuff? :D

9. kappaknight macrumors 68000

kappaknight

Why are you wasting your time worrying about such things? Do you work for Apple? If not, just wait till the announcement. Chances are they won't announce a 11" MBP anyway.

10. NZed macrumors 65816

NZed

What if Apple used a new battery with new technology that could last longer? All this assumption would then change.

11. Juan TS thread starter macrumors member

It is the most likely to happen.

12. 2hvy4grvty macrumors 6502

Why would a physical case redesign affect the power consumption of internal components?

Also, do realize CPU doesn't consume 100% of the battery life. You realize there's the GPU, the screen, the keyboard, the RAM, the motherboard itself, the harddrive, all of which sip that v-juice right?

13. maril1111 macrumors 68000

maril1111

Cuy they might be able to design a more compact battery, also if the redesign finds a better way to manage heat, the less the internal components have to work hence another reason for better battery life...

14. 2hvy4grvty macrumors 6502

Battery technology has been relatively stagnant. There's no Moore's law for batteries.

Are you referring to the fans for your second part? Because if you're referring to the hardware itself, I don't think you know what you're talking about. It's not a car man, it's a computer.

15. jsolares macrumors 6502a

Hold on, let me turn on my engineering sample and run it down...
    If and it's a very big if Intel managed to do what they've announced cpu will use 20% less power which could be very close to 10-15% more battery life.

Not only a more compact battery but they could also do a bigger battery

16. maril1111 macrumors 68000

maril1111

Thanx man great assumption!

Btw Yes if the inside of a computer heats up the fans have to run faster and more hence the battery life will decrease or how is the computer supposed to cool itself?? I know its not a car but thanx for the clear up :rolleyes: