Macbook Pro Battery Life

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by joleel7, Feb 18, 2009.

1. joleel7 macrumors member

Hello

My week old 15" 2.53 GHz Macbook Pro battery life only last slightly more than 2 hours on normal use web surfing, email and 4 cycle count so far see battery information below. What is your MBP "Full charge capacity (mAh):"? My is only 4695. Sorry I am new to the Mac world any help is appreciated in fact Apple swapped me a new unit after my 3 days of MBP has a sound issue.

Model Information:
    Serial Number: SMP-bq20z951-3999-b64
    Manufacturer:
    SMP Device name: bq20z951 Pack
    Lot Code: 0000
    PCB Lot Code: 0000
    Firmware Version: 002a
    Hardware Revision: 000a
    Cell Revision: 0100
    Charge Information: Charge remaining (mAh): 3571
    Fully charged: No
    Charging: No
    Full charge capacity (mAh): 4695
    Health Information:
    Cycle count: 4
    Condition: Good
    Battery Installed: Yes
    Amperage (mA): -1358
    Voltage (mV): 11718

2. Makaveli6103 macrumors 6502

What video card are you running. If you are running the 9600 I get around 2 hrs also. Also to boost your pattery life turn off you motion sensor. I turn it off when im using it on my desk and it helps. Here is a link on how to do it
    http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1934

3. Repo macrumors 6502a

Repo

Thanks for the link. I never imagined that could be a potential problem. Regarding the battery life, the 9600 getting 2 hours sounds about right, however, if you're using the 9400, 2 hours is a little low. Make sure if the problem worsens you call Apple.

4. joleel7 thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for the reply folks i have an appointment with Apple Genius Bar on Friday see what they can find. BTW I am using 9400.

5. Golfer00ksu macrumors regular

Open up activity monitor. Select all processes. Scroll down and see if anything is chewing up your cpu.
    I was having the same issue until I called applecare. We found that I had a file share or something like that constantly taking up 50%, thus killing the battery..

6. theITGuy macrumors 6502a

theITGuy

Sounds about right like others have said if using the 9600 instead of the 9400...websites with flash are CPU hungry which will also eat up your battery life...

Cheers.

-J.-

7. alexbates macrumors 65816

alexbates

You should be able to get more than 4695mAh. My old MBP, which only is supposed to get 4 hours of battery life, has about the same mAh. And my battery is old.

With a new Unibody, you are supposed to be getting 5 hours of battery life. That should be more than 6000mAh. You might have a bad battery.

Here is my status on my old MBP for comparison:

Attached Files:

8. joleel7 thread starter macrumors member

After checking my battery my max is only 4600 mAH and the battery age of my mac is 123 months :eek: let hope Apple can swap me a battery tomorrow.

9. nippyjun macrumors 65816

I use adblock plus on firefox to block the flash banners. Hopefully that adds to battery life.

10. DeusInvictus7 macrumors 68020

The new unibody macbooks and pros have smaller battery capacities than the last generation... so it would not be more than 6000mAh.

The MBP's max charge for the new generation is 4600mAh...whereas the last gen was around 5600.

OP: Your battery seems fine...just check your Activity Monitor to see if there are any rogue processes hogging up CPU cylces.

11. fartheststar macrumors 6502a

fartheststar

I have a question - I have the unibody MBP and use the 9400 graphics more often then not on the machine.

My battery health shows 95% and I've only used it 3 cycles so far.
    I charged it all the way at first, unplugged it, drained it fully and recharged for my first charge (health was at 99% then).

I usually use it plugged in (had it a couple of weeks) and the other day I happened to need it on battery power, got down to 40 minutes of power left... 92% health. I charged it up at that point and now have 95% health.

Is there anything I can do to improve this?
    Is this odd?

I haven't owned a laptop before ever so this whole concept of battery use is new to me. Thx.