Macbook Pro Battery Life

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Starbuckpga, Jul 15, 2009.

1. Starbuckpga macrumors regular

Afternoon guys. New Macbook Pro 13" user and just joined the forums. First off I want to say the information I've found here has been just fantastic. A lot of information and answers to questions in regards to me new Apple.

So with that out of the way. I just used bootcamp and installed Windows 7 on my Macbook Pro. Everything is working just fine, all updates installed for Windows and off the OSX CD as well. Wireless is working as well as sound, so no problems there. Although I do have one question.

When I am booted up into Windows 7 and look at the battery meter, it shows maybe 2 hours, or 2 hours and 10 mins of battery life left. Yet I just fully charged the laptop. Now if I boot into OSX, it will say roughly four hours, give or take. So really if I am booted into Windows 7, I am only going to get roughly two hours of battery life? Surely that can't be right. I am thinking the battery meter in Windows 7 is not right, and the laptop can last for about four hours, just like if it's booted up in OSX. Or does Windows use that much battery life and sucks out. Just curious. Thanks to anyone that knows...

2. Buskape macrumors 6502

Buskape

That is correct, the macbook drivers aren't optimised for Windows, so usually windows sucks up a lot more battery then OS X.

I doubt Apple will optimize their drivers for Windows though.

3. Starbuckpga thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for the reply....

Wow pretty said Windows kills the battery that much to last two hours give or take. Just another reason why an Apple puts the PC to shame.

4. DAMNiatx macrumors 6502a

DAMNiatx

did you change the power mode in win 7 ?, if not, change it to power saver.

5. theITGuy macrumors 6502a

theITGuy

While there are several reasons for Apple>Windows...this is not one of them...APPL is responsible for writing optimized drivers for Windows...

Cheers.

-J.-