MacBook Pro Battery lifespan Calc

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by DJ-R, Oct 5, 2010.

1. DJ-R macrumors regular

So yeah it has been 17 days and I have been using my MBP intensively charge and discharge.

17 days a total of 10-12 charge cycle already. The end calculation is between 4 to 4.65 years battery lifespan if I keep my intense usage.

So even if I bought the AppleCare... which is still pointless unless your battery marks at under 80% capacity.

Is it really under 80% battery capacity by policy for replacement?

2. No1nfoProvided macrumors 6502

I believe it's up to Apple to determine that, even if you are under warranty and under 80%. If you don't have a "Check Battery" status and it's obvious you cycled the battery to death due to normal use, they might be able to refuse a battery replacement.

3. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

4. Eddyisgreat macrumors 601

-------------------

It isn't just 80% capacity. Apple has the following thresholds:
    Cycles < 1000 && Capacity > 80% = Standard Operation
    Cycles > 1000 && Capacity <= 79% = Worn Battery (Not replaceable)
    Cycles < 1000 && Capacity < 80% && Warranty > '0' = Defective

So...i'm not really sure what you're asking. If you're asking if they will replace your battery five years from now, no, probably not. If you think you'll go over 1000 cycles within the next 1-3 years then...thems the breaks (atleast you are using your machine). If you think your battery will die sometime soon then Apple will replace it as long as it meets the above criteria.*

*All decisions are subject to verification and modification by the repair technicians.

5. m85476585 macrumors 65816

Apple Care isn't there to give you a free battery when yours loses capacity by normal use. It's there in case you get a bad battery (of which all the pre-unibody batteries are, in my experience). I've gotten two replacement batteries already. In each case the battery dropped below 80% after a year with around 100 cycles, when this type is rated for 300 cycles. I'm already at 88% and 90 cycles on the third battery, and hopefully I can kill it before my Apple Care runs out in the spring, but that shouldn't be a problem based on past experience with these batteries.

6. gotclawed macrumors newbie

My battery health just dipped from 86% yesterday to 76% today 355 load cycles, 12 month old umbp 13, with battery health reported as normal. I'm confused if this would be deemed as normal use or defective battery?

7. aeboi macrumors 65816

aeboi

check the battery status in about this mac, if it's not normal then it's probably defective if your battery is the new kind

8. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

It would help if you actually read posts before responding:
    Have you calibrated your battery, to make sure the health is being reported accurately? See calibration information in the link I posted in post #3.

9. gotclawed macrumors newbie

Yeah I calibrated the battery yesterday. the load cycles seems fairly high in comparison to others with the mid 2009 battery..

10. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Yes, a cycle a day does sound like quite a bit. Does your normal use require that many cycles? How are you using your MBP, in relation to battery vs power adapter?

11. gotclawed macrumors newbie

Umm I'm hitting about 12 hours usage daily, I generally let the battery go to 50% then charge it up again.

12. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Are you doing that intentionally, or are you just away from the power adapter that long? You should run on the adapter when you can, and run on battery when you need to. It's just not good to run on the adapter all the time. Read the battery FAQ I posted for more info.

13. gotclawed macrumors newbie

14. Constantine1337 macrumors 6502

[​IMG]

Note the "Partial Discharges information" box. It answers a lot. :)

15. Corndog5595 macrumors 65816

Is that a Panic app?

16. Constantine1337 macrumors 6502

No. Its Watts.

17. Corndog5595 macrumors 65816

So many great Mac developers.
    The background of the app reminded me of Transmit for some reason.

OP, if this helps you:
    [​IMG]