Macbook Pro - Battery Meter Problem

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by milbournosphere, Jan 16, 2011.

1. milbournosphere macrumors 6502a

milbournosphere

Is anybody else having a problem with the battery meter in the menu bar? Since updating to 10.6.6, both my girlfriend's Macbook and my MBP have been having a problem with the battery meter not updating, or just plain acting strangely. In one instance, it was actually displaying the amount of battery full (around 80% at the time) with red instead of the usual black. Is anybody else having...issues like this?

2. raep macrumors member

raep

3. nospeed411 macrumors 6502a

Smc reset did nothing for ours...both seem a tad wonky after latest update. Mine will stay red for a couple seconds after opening up from sleep.

4. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

5. mawool01 macrumors member

mawool01

Same here

I too have noticed that my battery indicator is acting a little strange. I have noticed it since updating to 10.6.6. My Macbook Pro is only about 6 months old so I took into the Apple store to have them look at it. The battery tested normal and the charger tested normal. Even though the girl said they were not supposed to give me a new battery they went a head and replaced my battery. I am still seeing strange things with the new battery. One minute it will say 8 + hours and the next minute it might say 50 minutes. Hopefully it will get fixed soon!

6. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Read the FAQ I posted. Your time remaining estimate changes constantly with changes in your workload. This is normal.

7. sydenham macrumors regular

Wow, as I was reading this post I looked at my battery indicator and mine is a bit odd as well. I am running on battery but the battery indicator on top has the icon that is associated with charging with the power adaptor.

8. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Try resetting SMC. (link in the Battery FAQ under CHARGING)

9. milbournosphere thread starter macrumors 6502a

milbournosphere

I tried resetting SMC, no go. I replaced the battery (needed one anyway), no dice. I reinstalled the OS (again, something I'd been meaning to do anyway) and used the combo updater to get to 10.6.6 and still it's hanging around. In fact, it sat at 1% for about 15 minutes when I woke it up this morning, even though the battery was freshly charged. Color me confused. Hopefully 10.6.7 will fix it.

10. mrsir2009 macrumors 604

mrsir2009

I had a similar problem where my battery meter would stick at 75%, but it fixed after simply restarting the computer :) As I hadn't shut it down in days.