Macbook Pro battery not charging - and question about warranty

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by danetello, Sep 8, 2011.

1. danetello, Sep 8, 2011
    Last edited: Sep 8, 2011

danetello macrumors 6502

I bought my macbook pro on ebay a few months ago. It was working perfectly at first, but last week I tried to charge it and it wouldn't accept a charge. When its plugged into the power supply, it shows as plugged with the green light but the battery won't accept the charge.

At first I thought it was a problem with the power cable so I bought a new one, but it still has the same problem so I'm sure its something with the battery. It currently has about 290 cycles.

The Macbook still has apple care on it, so I would have taken it to apple straight away, but the only problem is that I bought it on ebay so I am not the original owner and the apple care was registered before I bought it. Would apple still service the macbook in this case?

And also is there any way I can try to fix this myself (without voiding warranty)?

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Try resetting the SMC.
    AppleCare follows the computer, not the owner. If it's covered, Apple will honor it. You can check your warranty coverage here.
    Other than resetting the SMC, there's no physical thing you can do without voiding the warranty or AppleCare, since the built-in batteries are not user-serviceable.

This should answer most, if not all, of your battery questions: