Macbook Pro Battery on AC question

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Irosaki, Jan 16, 2010.

1. Irosaki macrumors member

Irosaki

Hi guys,

the current Apple MBP batteries on the 15" are labelled as lasting for 1000 cycles.

A cycle is defined by Apple as a 100% discharge and a 100% charge.

When the battery is on 100% charge does it cut off the battery from the laptop when on AC power or does it continue to pull power from the battery and charge it up at the same time?

So if I run a MBP on AC for 7hrs while at full charge does it count as a charge cycle?

Thanks.

2. iLog.Genius macrumors 601

iLog.Genius

If you're on AC, the battery isn't being used so if you're using your portable for 7 hours while on AC, that doesn't count towards your charge cycle.

3. snaky69 macrumors 603

A charge cycle can also be going down to 50% battery, and charging back up, twice. So long as the total is 100% it's a battery cycle.

The mbp also slowly cycles the battery while on AC, by letting it drain slowly to 95% and charging it back up. This is essential as it is important to keep the electrons moving to keep the battery healthy.

In the end, stop worrying about numbers, just use your laptop, that's what it's for.

4. Irosaki thread starter macrumors member

Irosaki

ok, so it does add to the charge count, thanks.

I wasnt worrying too much but I was interested.

5. iLog.Genius macrumors 601

iLog.Genius

Ahh, good point. Forgot about the slow drain. Even when that does happen, that's 5 percent of 100 so you would need to let that happen 20 times before it even counts as one cycle.