Macbook Pro Battery Problem

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by gazfocus, Sep 3, 2008.

1. gazfocus macrumors 68000

gazfocus

I have a 2.16GHz C2D MBP and I bought a new battery off ebay some time ago, and although it came with a dented corner, I kept it and started to use it.

I have just started using the MBP again and it is not recognising the battery. I have a little battery icon with an 'x' in it, and in system profiler it says battery is not installed.

I've also tried a 2nd battery and that's doing the same.

However, with the 2nd battery, when I unplugged the PSU, the MBP stayed on for a short time (I think down to the lack of charge in the battery).

Does anyone have any ideas?

2. creator2456 macrumors 68000

creator2456

Call Apple, let them know you have the red x, and wait for them to ship a new battery to you. All you will need to do is return the defective one in the box provided.

3. gazfocus thread starter macrumors 68000

gazfocus

But will they do that even though the laptop's not under warranty?

4. stiphone macrumors regular

I would think so too as there was a notice out there for defective batteries. I had a defective battery recently and called Apple. After gathering some details from me, they sent a new battery for me as the battery was defective. Doesn't hurt to try!! Your MBP dun need to be under warranty for that I think.

5. noodle654 macrumors 68020

noodle654

Apple will do anything to get rid of the defective batteries...it is a very serious issue and Apple should replace it no questions asked.

6. gazfocus thread starter macrumors 68000

gazfocus

Thanks, so what exactly is 'the red x' as I am sure I'll need to tell them more than that lol

7. fwhh macrumors regular

I'm not sure if apple will replace it, since your machine is a C2D. The exchange program only applies to CD MBPs. My battery has blown up (is now about 2 inches thick and the metal cover is ripped off so you can see the cells) and apple didn't replace it, since it was in a C2D MBP. But: good luck.

8. creator2456 macrumors 68000

creator2456

I'm sure they will know what you mean by 'red x' and if they need more they will ask.

If I were you I would make Apple replace that battery. Just walk into an Apple store (if you can) with only the battery. They should replace it.

9. fwhh macrumors regular

Sadly, there are no official apple stores in Germany. I visited a premium reseller, they told my to report this to Apple Germany (by phone) and they refused to exchange it, because its serial number doesn't fit to their list of numbers which would allow an exchange.
    If've seen a lot of notebooks, but no one before had a battery like this. 2 cells are inflated, one doubled its size the other is 3 times as thick as original...
    I'm not quite sure if the inflating caused some other trouble with my MBP, as a damaged ribbon wire to the trackpad (which is directly on top of the battery, now fixed with a piece of insulation tape...).

10. creator2456 macrumors 68000

creator2456

I would keep trying to get Apple to replace this and fix all problems that it has caused. If the first person you talk to doesn't help you, ask to talk to someone higher up. If that still doesn't work, I think an email to Steve Jobs (search forums for his email) with a picture of the battery and description of your problems as well as the fact you have called Apple repeatedly (with case #'s if possible) would be in order.

11. wesrk macrumors 6502a

probably a stupid question, but, I just received my new battery after calling apple care on friday (awesome service), and I just called dhl to schedule a pick up, besides putting the old battery in the box and sealing it, do I need to do anything else?
    will I have to pay something for shipping it back?

12. creator2456 macrumors 68000

creator2456

Nope, as long as you use the label and box Apple has provided it should be free.

13. wesrk macrumors 6502a

yup, just as you were posting this the dhl guy came, and yeah he just took the box and that was it, like said, awesome service, all around.

14. jugglemyplums macrumors newbie

If it is a CD macbook pro, will they replace the battery if you're having trouble with it, even if it's not under warranty? My battery in my 2.0ghz CD macbook pro suddenly dropped from 78% health to 44% health with only 104 cycles on it. I'm lucky to make it an hour. I tried calibrating the battery and nothing changed. Is it better to call apple or go to an apple store?

15. boardopboy macrumors member

16. jugglemyplums macrumors newbie

haha...thanks. So apple should replace the battery even though I'm out of warranty. I find it unacceptable that my battery won't last an hour with only a little over 100 cycles on it. Isn't the battery supposed to be at 80% health with 300 cycles?

17. boardopboy macrumors member

It's starting to look that way. But, what ever it is in 10.5.5 that is causing this, could very well cause it to happen on your new battery too. Resulting in a need for a replacement there as well. You see the pattern developing, no?

Mine was about 95% with over 300 cycles on it before 10.5.5. So yeah... your health should be way better!

18. jugglemyplums macrumors newbie

I don't think 10.5.5 is the problem. My battery took the sudden plunge before I did the update and it was still 10.5.4. Nothing has changed since the update. The battery still is at 24% health and it'll last maybe an hour. But it was at 78% health, which still seems a little low for having 110 cycles on it.

19. anthonys macrumors member

anthonys

Mine started going bad before 10.5.5 too, but got worse after the update. I took it to the genius bar last night and managed to get a new one to replace it.

20. coma macrumors newbie

my c2d mbp is almost coming to 24 mths and my battery health is around 60% of capacity. i brought it to a genius bar in australia and they turned down my request for a battery exchange. the reason they gave was that i would only be eligible for an exchange if it was within 1 year from my mbp purchase or it was still under 300 charge cycles, whichever came first. they did confirm that my battery was indeed 'bad' with the battery diagnostic tool that they booted it up with.

sadly, my battery only has 89 charge cycles, but it has exceeded a year of usage. my only option which they recommended was for me to buy a new battery.

21. UltraNEO* macrumors 601

UltraNEO*

It's never wise to store any lithium based batteries, period. But if you are gonna store it, store it with 50% charge and check it every few months, make sure you keep the electrons flowing. By this... if the battery becomes flat and stays flat for an extensive amount of time, it'll refuse to charge, ever! It'll effectively die!! So-to-speak.

If and when you decide to use your system, it may not recognised the battery, simply because it's become dead! You can of course tell Apple you have a faulty cell but don't tell them you've stored the battery for a while!!