Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

taybot

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 24, 2010
Hi,

I have a macbook pro 15".

model identifier is macbook pro 2,2

My problem is if I don't have this laptop plugged in, it dies after about 30 minutes. I was wondering, if I get a new battery, will that let me keep it unplugged for a few hours, or at least longer than 30 minutes, without it dying?

And if so, where do I buy a battery at? Is this the right link:

http://store.apple.com/us/product/MA348LL/A?aosid=p204&siteid=1503186&program_id=2554&cid=OAS-EMEA-AFF&tduid=a9036365524f205aa2f358074946bf81&mco=MTY3ODQ5OTY#overview

Basically, I'm worried about buying a battery, because I'm not sure if it will fix my problem, of only having thirty minutes to use my computer when it's not plugged in.

Is there a way to figure out how worn out my battery is, by clicking something or some icon? Clicking the icon in the top right, doesn't seem to be quite what I'm looking for because that just says

Better Energy Savings
Normal
Better Performance

I don't know what that means. But more importantly, I'm pretty sure it doesn't give me the information I'm looking for. I want to know how good of shape my current battery is in.

thank you very much for your help!

spinnerlys

Sep 7, 2008
forlod bygningen

taybot

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 24, 2010
Thanks spinnerly,

that post was very helpful! No I haven't calibrated my battery, I don't even know what that means.

Ok under battery health & cycles it says:

Cycle count: 344
Condition: Poor

So I guess that clears it up, right? I should buy a new battery?

taybot

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 24, 2010
I didn't realize it is bad to always keep your laptop plugged in. But that is exactly what I do. If I didn't, it would die in 30 minutes. so I'm not sure what to do here??

iLog.Genius

macrumors 601
Feb 24, 2009
Toronto, Ontario
Thanks spinnerly,

that post was very helpful! No I haven't calibrated my battery, I don't even know what that means.

Ok under battery health & cycles it says:

Cycle count: 344
Condition: Poor

So I guess that clears it up, right? I should buy a new battery?

yeah, your battery's life is about up.

taybot

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 24, 2010
OK so I think I'm going to buy a new battery. My last question is should I get the one that I linked to in the first post in this thread? I'm wondering, how do I know if I have a Macbook Pro or a macbook pro aluminum.

I know that's a dumb question. Well I'm pretty sure I don't have an aluminum but I just want to be positive. Is there anywhere I can click to find out for sure? Thanks!

Also, what should I do with my old battery, once my new one comes? Can I throw it away like a piece of trash or what?

thanks!

spinnerlys

Sep 7, 2008
forlod bygningen
Look for the Model Identifier here (#3) and report back.
4707069290_6547e29211_b.jpg

Or go to http://www.everymac.com/systems/by_capability/mac-specs-by-machine-model-machine-id.html to see for yourself.

Identify your MacBook or MacBook Pro
16abbsk.png

2ega54n.png

taybot

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 24, 2010
Ugh, my model identifier just says MacBookPro 2,2

it doesn't mention aluminum

But on the pictures you posted, what looks like my laptop is labeled aluminum. And to make it more complicated, this one: http://store.apple.com/us/product/MA348LL/A?mco=MTI1NDU2NjQ

even looks like my battery when I take it out. I'm just not sure though, because those pics you posted say aluminum next to the laptops that look like mine. Mine is the 15" in the bottom left.

so I still can't figure this out.

any help? thx!

iLog.Genius

macrumors 601
Feb 24, 2009
Toronto, Ontario

But on the pictures you posted, what looks like my laptop is labeled aluminum, so I still can't figure this out.

any help? thx!

That's the one your MacBook Pro would resemble most (that line has gone through minor changes in terms of the enclosure over the years)

spinnerlys

Sep 7, 2008
forlod bygningen

But on the pictures you posted, what looks like my laptop is labeled aluminum. And to make it more complicated, this one: http://store.apple.com/us/product/MA348LL/A?mco=MTI1NDU2NjQ

even looks like my battery when I take it out. I'm just not sure though, because those pics you posted say aluminum next to the laptops that look like mine. Mine is the 15" in the bottom left.

so I still can't figure this out.

any help? thx!

From following the link I provided in my earlier post (right below the first image), you either have this or that model.

It's a 15" Core 2 Duo Aluminium MacBook, battery can be found here.

This time around:

taybot

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 24, 2010
ok that's what I thought but I just got thrown off because that pic showed my model and it says aluminum underneath, so I wanted to be sure I wasn't supposed to get the aluminum battery.

I already through that Battery FAQ thread and I found it really helpful. Do you agree with that part that says not to keep your laptop plugged in though?

thx for your help!

taybot

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 24, 2010
ok guys i need your help again. Do you know of any websites that sell these batteries? I can't do it through the mac's website because they won't ship to PO Boxes. do you know of any websites that sell mac batteries?

thx!

rkmac

macrumors 6502
Jun 22, 2009
JAFA, New Zealand
OWC sells batteries here.
However, I do not believe they are Genuine Apple Parts. They seem to be 3rd party batteries.
OWC is one of the best suppliers of 3rd party parts for Apple Computers though, so I would say they are fine.

EDIT: Another similar thread popped up this morning:
https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/1036830/
It seems its best not to buy 3rd party batteries. Hopefully someone can find you genuine ones not through apple.

Blu101

macrumors 6502a
Sep 10, 2010
ok guys i need your help again. Do you know of any websites that sell these batteries? I can't do it through the mac's website because they won't ship to PO Boxes. do you know of any websites that sell mac batteries?

thx!

Have it shipped to where you work?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.