Macbook pro battery question

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Fpb1980, Mar 20, 2015.

1. Fpb1980 macrumors member

New macbook pro user here and have a question about the battery. Does the battery go down when the computer is shut off and restarted. Last night I turned it off with 48% and when turned on today was around 44%. Also, shut off later in the day at 42% and turned on at 38%.

Is this normal? Macbook is 2 days old.

Thanks.

2. Fpb1980 thread starter macrumors member

asked apple and they said this was normal since based on estimate. has anyone else noticed this? Thanks.

3. DeltaMac macrumors 604

DeltaMac

Yes, the percentage charge remaining will change, even though very little discharge takes place, such as when you have it off. It's a computed estimate, which is the percent charge remaining if this same discharge rate continues (more or less)
    I do prefer the percentage, to "time" remaining, as that can vary wildly.
    Your small change is very normal.

Just plug in, let it charge up while it is off. Take advantage of that idle time to keep the battery up at a higher charge.
    Finally, try not to be concerned, unless the actual use time that you get is very short. IMHO, less than 2.5 hours battery use from a full charge would be cause for a question.
    I very rarely turn my Macbook off and leave it off - maybe two or three times a year. It's a portable, so I use it as a portable - no reason to have it OFF. It gets used, then it sleeps :D