Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SChaput

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 2, 2008
United States
I have attached my battery's performance levels. In the screenshot my charger is plugged in, however no light is showing up. Along with that the battery meter still sees it on battery and as i type this my charge has been at 0% for a few minutes. According to a widget i have gone 444 cycles and my health is at 60%. Does this sound like an issue with my battery? or an issue with the charging station on the side? I have an applecare package but i feel as though this situation would not be covered.
Any light you can shed on this would be a great help.
Thanks.

Attachments

• Picture 3.png
    Picture 3.png
    260.7 KB · Views: 103

SChaput

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 2, 2008
United States
its only about a year old so i dont think i qualify for that, haha.

While checking the charger connection i noticed some black 'debris' in the port for the charger. Maybe this is not letting the computer see its connected to the charger, any suggestions on how to clean this area? It seems to be too heavy for compressed air.

FortunesFool

macrumors member
Nov 2, 2007
Boston, MA
I just had apple send me a free replacement battery for my mid-2007 SR MBP, although it only had ~150 cycles and wasn't holding anything resembling a charge. My approach is to call applecare and complain until they give it up for free. You have to master the appropriate balance of politeness and indignance in your tone, of course.

Give it a shot.

SChaput

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 2, 2008
United States
Ive cleaned out what was inside the charging area to the best of my abilty and am still having issues that i can not pin down.
As of now i have removed the battery from my computer, the computer recognizes there is no battery installed, the light is green and i am able to use the computer. However, in order to be able to use it i need to adjust the charging cable using a little piece of cardboard. (See attached) However, in the attached image the light is orange besides that, same situation.
I am not sure weather or not this problem has to do with the battery, which is bad in its own way, the charging cable, or something inside the computer.
Any ideas?

Attachments

• photo.jpg
    photo.jpg
    133.9 KB · Views: 56

paulyras

macrumors 6502a
Dec 3, 2006
Singapore
After doing this for the past hour the computer has gotten very hot and i am questioning weather or not this is a good idea to keep in place.
Here are my temperatures.
http://localhostr.com/files/43a339/Picture+1.png

Those temps are definitely not normal unless you're REALLY pushing the system, and even then probably not.

Given that you need to keep a piece of cardboard wedged in the power plug to get it to charge right and that you're computer seems to be cooking when you run it, I'd get it looked at. Even though your battery has a ton of charge cycles, if you were to explain that the fans blowing like mad kept the battery draining quickly, they might just give you a new one.

Regardless, something ain't right...

SChaput

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 2, 2008
United States
Alright, so if im understanding you, this could very well be a problem that wont be fixed by simply buying a new charger? Regardless, i will try and find one to test on before i go to apple.
Thank you for the help.

paulyras

macrumors 6502a
Dec 3, 2006
Singapore
Alright, so if im understanding you, this could very well be a problem that wont be fixed by simply buying a new charger? Regardless, i will try and find one to test on before i go to apple.
Thank you for the help.

It's possible that it might be solved by a new charger, and if you can come up with a new one, it would be a good test. If it's still under applecare though, I would still have them pay for it.

If I had to guess though, I'd bet on it being something else internal...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.