Macbook Pro, battery replacement. Purchase info

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by esadb, Sep 3, 2013.

1. esadb macrumors 65816

esadb

2011 Macbook Pro 13" requires a new battery A1322, I am seeing batteries for this thing all over the place, some as cheap as $60 while others in the $120+ ranges.

What's the difference here? Anyone purchase one of these from ebay?

2. nylon macrumors 6502a

nylon

With batteries, always play it safe and buy from the manufacturer directly. There are too many stories of counterfeit products that may ruin the entire machine.

3. esadb thread starter macrumors 65816

esadb

Thanks for the info but I was hoping to get some feedback if anyone has taken either route and how it went.

4. Krazy Bill macrumors 68030

Krazy Bill

I have used ebay batteries (and chargers). If they're OEM (Apple brand) then you just need to worry about the sellers reputation. Also, many are refurbished but still OEM which I wouldn't touch. Just make sure of what you're getting. Mine have been OK but I guarantee that one for $60 is crap. That said, my philosophy is now as follows: I paid a lot of money for my mac. I'm not going to scrimp just to save a few bucks on something that may damage it.

Pay the extra extortion fees for the real thing from a reputable dealer even if it's Apple.

5. Interstella5555 macrumors 603

Interstella5555

If I had a nickel for every time I heard how a third party battery either broke after a month or two or actually caused damage to the computer I could...buy a first party battery. Just do it, it's not worth the potential damage saving $50.

6. esadb thread starter macrumors 65816

esadb

Thanks for the info! I hear what your saying and certainly see them around and most ebay reputation is solid and like hundreds of those units solid so that's what made me wonder. Most say genuine just missing the apple logo/branding, that's why I was curious.

Of course if it came to buying one off ebay I wouldn't also get the cheapest one at let's say $19.99 lol..
    Thanks for the info. Wasn't aware of them actually damaging the machines but I've heard where the battery starts sucking bad after 1month or just doesn't hold charge anymore.

However these batteries arn't meant to be self replaceable. So I believe Apple doesn't even sell them but instead only offers the service of them actually installing it so it tacks on even more to the cost..

7. esadb thread starter macrumors 65816

esadb

Well got the macbook. Needs a little loving but not bad overall.

Noticed the trackpad was being pushed out and was able to knock the price down even more. Best part I got a ATV2 out of this deal :)

Now the battery has actually swollen, I took the bottom cover off and found this out which was causing the trackpad to protrude.

Any idea if Apple would cover a swollen battery? The cycle count on the battery is showing as just 500. I took it out and will leave the macbook off until I get this battery sorted out.

Thanks.

8. Astroboy907 macrumors 65816

Astroboy907

Just curious, how much did you get it for?

9. esadb thread starter macrumors 65816

esadb

Ill pm ya :)