Macbook Pro Battery Screenshot

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by SChaput, Aug 14, 2008.

1. SChaput macrumors regular

[​IMG]

This screenshot is of my current battery levels on my macbook pro. I was just interested in other's opinions on these numbers, as they seemed a little low to me.
    I realize many factors come into effect, ie the programs running and what not but i was just wondering if maybe it was time to purchase a new battery, the computer is about a year old.
    In case it isn't obvious, and im sure it is to many, if not everyone here, the number highlighted in blue is the estimated remaining time. and the percentage is the amount of battery that is charged.

2. techlover828 macrumors 68020

techlover828

I wouldn't call that awful for a year old batter, you can see what apple says, they might be nice and replace it for you

3. SChaput thread starter macrumors regular

i have applecare for this product...does that do anything in hopes of getting a cheap replacement battery?
    -----
    http://www.apple.com/batteries/replacements.html
    Nevermind, Answered my own question.

4. techlover828 macrumors 68020

techlover828

I believe the rule is under 80% in less than a year or 300 cycles?

5. Tex-Twil macrumors 68020

Tex-Twil

50% baterry = more or les 50 mins !!? I thought the MBP had a better battery life.

6. Fabiano macrumors regular

mine at 50% still survives almost 2 hours.

7. jamesarm97 macrumors 65816

I have a 2006 model Macbook pro and was at a friends a few weeks ago using it. I glanced over and had about 1h 14m left and all of a sudden it turned off. I thought either it crashed or the battery was not calibrated and did not think too much of it.

This past Wed I was using it without the power cord and all of a sudden it shut off and I heard a quiet pop. I turned it over and the battery was bulging out and hot. Luckily we just got a new Apple store downtown a month earlier so I ran out and bought a new one. You have to watch out for those lithium batteries. Even though I took it out it continued to grow over the day. I ended up taking it apart and removed the dead cell so I could use the other cells later in a project.

- James

8. monkey86 macrumors 6502

monkey86

turn your bluetooth off when you dont need it, same for airport.

turn your brightness down and even turn your sound to mute if your not using it.

check the energy saver and use best battery life etc

also you can calibrate your battery to get a marginal increase :)

this is my 3 year old powerbook g4 (12" 1.33mhz 768 ram)

with the above things happening: original battery - maybe i got lucky!

[​IMG]

im just about to put 512 extra in, to take it to 1.25 gb ram will that drain (remember that you guys on mb/mbp's are running dual core and loads of ram and huge hdds.)

9. Rmafive macrumors 6502

Do you use you macbook pro as a desktop, meaning you keep it plugged in constantly; if so you probably should try calibrating your battery, letting it drain all the way down to emergency sleep mode. If that does not get you more battery life, you should get a new one! :)

10. Milanista macrumors newbie

I had your problem 3 times. My batter would last about 1 hour unplugged and the cycle time would drop every week. I rang apple care for all 3 times, and all 3 times I got a free replacement.

11. monkey86 macrumors 6502

monkey86

also! when the battery is fully charged use it till it tells you to plug it back in

12. Firefly2002 macrumors 65816

If you put in more RAM, yes that will drain the battery faster. RAM is a large power draw.

13. Baffles macrumors regular

The extra power draw is minimal, especially considering that it saves swapping (HDD takes more power than RAM) during high usage times, and when it's not utilized, it will be used for disk caching to also help with the battery.