Macbook Pro battery timing with Windows in Bootcamp

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Aneef, Jan 8, 2016.

1. Aneef macrumors regular

Aneef

Hello guys,

I have BootCamped Windows 10 on my Macbook Pro Retina, 15", iGPU, mid-2014. The battery timing on my rMBP on OS X is good, giving me up to 7-8 hours on iTunes Video playback. Also I get almost the same timings when using Safari or doing other light stuff. But the thing is, on Windows, I get around 2.5-3 hours of battery timing only, even in idle state. Also the cpu gets hot even in idle state. I tried restarting my computer several times but I wasn't able to get more than 3 hours of battery time. No resource-extensive processes are found in the task manager and the CPU usage % is also quite low.

What battery life do you get on your BootCamped Windows? Any suggestions to make battery timing better?

Regards.

2. Mcmeowmers macrumors 6502

Right click the battery icon and select Power Options. Define a new power scheme, base it off balanced or low.

Set the MAX CPU to 70~%

Obviously you can decrease the brightness too!

You're not going to get much battery out of Windows 10 on a mbp.

3. Aneef thread starter macrumors regular

Aneef

Brightness was already on the lowest possible point. Anyways, I'll try changing the MAX CPU setting you mentioned. But still I wonder why is the battery so bad on idle CPU...

4. snaky69 macrumors 603

OS X is optimized to run of a very specific set of hardware and is meant to be the most efficient possible with that hardware.

Windows is meant to run on just about anything anyone can cobble together. It is not nearly as optimized.

Simple as that. Windows will never match OS X battery life on a Mac without extensive tweaking of the OS, and even then I doubt it.

5. Fancuku macrumors 6502a

Fancuku

I don't think I've gotten more than 3-3.5 hours on my mid 2014 with dgpu. I don't know why battery life is so poor in Windows on a MBP. I have Windows on two Dell laptops and I get better battery life on them even though they are 3 year old models on original batteries. The newer Dell XPS are said to have a 10 hour battery life.
    I wish we could find a solution to the poor battery life on our Macs.

6. MagicBoy macrumors 68040

MagicBoy

It's the dGPU - your Mac permanently enables it in Boot Camp. Plus as already mentioned Apple heavily optimise their hardware and software as they are closely integrated.

7. Fancuku macrumors 6502a

Fancuku

It can't be just the dGPU. OP has iGPU and is reporting very similar battery life.

8. Aneef thread starter macrumors regular

Aneef

I get much better battery life while playing Need for Speed Most Wanted 2 in Parallels Desktop :confused: as compared to the idle state on Bootcamped Windows :rolleyes:

9. MagicBoy macrumors 68040

MagicBoy

Congratulations for selective quoting. Read the second sentence if you please, then post #4.

If you want a Windows laptop with long battery life then buy a Windows laptop with long battery life. Not a Macintosh. Running Windows on bare metal is an added bonus, not a core feature.