macbook pro battery use and charge

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by cdoan20, Feb 28, 2011.

1. cdoan20 macrumors newbie

I tend to fully charge my macbook pro and then use it until its almost at 0% and then charge it all the way up again. I know calibrating every few months is good for the battery, but is it bad if I'm constantly doing what I do with draining it all the way down and then charging again?

2. simsaladimbamba

Yes, as you put unnecessary cycles on it. You can safely use the MBP while being connected to the power adapter, the battery is there for places where you can't do that.

3. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

It's not necessary to drain it all the way every time you use it. Just plug it in when you can and run on battery when you need to.

This should answer most, if not all, of your battery questions:

4. cdoan20 thread starter macrumors newbie

So it isnt bad if I constantly use plug it in while battery is at 100%?

5. impulse462 Suspended

impulse462

No its perfectly fine, just make you calibrate the battery on average, once a month.

6. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

No, just be sure to run on battery every few days. Read the FAQ I posted. It really will answer your questions.

7. cdoan20 thread starter macrumors newbie

Im a college student so I take it to class and use it constantly, going to class, then back home, then class again. How should I charge it? Charge it every time Im at home? Would that waste the cycles?

8. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

No, it wouldn't waste cycles, but you don't have to charge it every time you go home. Just run it on AC power when it's convenient and run it on battery when AC power isn't handy. Again, I recommend you read the FAQ I posted. It tells you exactly what a cycle is.

9. cdoan20 thread starter macrumors newbie

Can you forward me the link? Thanks

10. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Look at the 3rd post in this thread. Actually, it's posted in both the 2nd and 3rd post, the first two responses to your thread.