Macbook Pro Battery Weirdness

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Xander562, Aug 2, 2008.

1. Xander562 macrumors 68000

Xander562

I randomly decided to check out my battery's status wit coconut battery today and this is what I found. :eek:

[​IMG]

I have had this battery for maybe 9 months and have very rarely used it on battery power. I knew that batteries can only be charged discharged and recharged a number of times before they start losing their charge. But I almost never did that, how does this happen?

BTW I have tried calibrating my battery. What's going on here?

2. benmrii macrumors 65816

benmrii

Batteries are like muscles. If they don't get exercise they lose their strength. Keeping it plugged in all the time will require a few full cycles to get it back to work.

That said, I don't think that is what's happening to yours at all, especially since you already tried cycling/calibrating it. Seems like a faulty battery. Call tech support, tell them your battery is faulty (not depleted) as it is not accepting a full charge. They'll ask you to check the same data from your System Profiler, but what is shown in the image you shared is sufficient for them to replace it given the low number of cycles.

'Course, this is assuming you are still under warranty.

3. Xander562 thread starter macrumors 68000

Xander562

Well this was the first time in a very long time that I've calibrated it. Should I try calibrating it a few more times to see if it will regain some of it's charge?

4. benmrii macrumors 65816

benmrii

It couldn't hurt, but it'd probably be frivolous at this point.

At times my laptop usage is similar, plugged in for months at a time, and I usually do a full discharge/charge cycle 3 times before I count on my battery lasting me a decent amount of time. But that 'exercise' is more to help the battery get more out of what it is holding. The problem your battery is showing is that it isn't even taking a full charge. 95% chance the issue is just a faulty battery.

From the :apple: menu, click About This Mac, then click the button More Info... This will launch your System Profiler. From the list on the left, click Power. What does it say under Battery Information/Health Information/Condition: ?

5. Xander562 thread starter macrumors 68000

Xander562

It says "check battery"
    [​IMG]

Please note about the other values, I have started another calibration at the time of this screenshot.

6. benmrii macrumors 65816

benmrii

Ya, they'll replace it. Call 800.APL.CARE, use the word "faulty," they'll direct you to the System Profiler to provide them the basic info and then they'll mail you a replacement.

7. RainForRent macrumors 6502

RainForRent

This is definitely the best course of action.

8. Xander562 thread starter macrumors 68000

Xander562

All right. I'm in the process of calibrating again. I'll do this every night for a couple days and post my results. Stay tuned.

9. benmrii macrumors 65816

benmrii

10. Xander562 thread starter macrumors 68000

Xander562

Yes I am thankfully. Until the end of September.

11. benmrii macrumors 65816

benmrii

While you're certainly welcome to handle it however you like, if after cycling it once or twice more you are still getting a significantly lower battery capacity than 5500 mAh and your System Profiler still shows "Check battery" you have sufficient evidence of a faulty battery which will be replaced under warranty. If you call them they'll mail you a replacement. When you get it, put the faulty battery in the box and mail it back (on their dime).

It's easy and it will be covered. Just suggesting you don't worry too much about it or waste too much time trying to calibrate it... I highly doubt that will have any positive effect.

12. Xander562 thread starter macrumors 68000

Xander562

[​IMG]

Yeah this is after last night's calibration. Even less capacity? Looks like it's faulty to me. I'll be giving Apple a call tomorrow.

13. RainForRent macrumors 6502

RainForRent

Wow. Yep, I see a DHL box from Apple in your future. Good luck with this.

14. Wood56 macrumors newbie

MBP 15' Not Charging

Hi all, new to the forum and is in need of some help. M MBP is not Charging. I tried reset the smc and still no joy. I have read a few of the t/sing forums but still no answer to help fix this problem. can anyone help shed some light on what I should do next.

Thanks
    Wood56 :confused:

Model Information:
    Serial Number: SMP-ASMB012-374a-
    Manufacturer: SMP
    Device name: ASMB012
    Pack Lot Code: 0002
    PCB Lot Code: 0000
    Firmware Version: 0102
    Hardware Revision: 0500
    Cell Revision: 0200
    Charge Information:
    Charge remaining (mAh): 0
    Fully charged: No
    Charging: No
    Full charge capacity (mAh): 0
    Health Information:
    Cycle count: 16
    Condition: Check battery
    Battery Installed: Yes
    Amperage (mA): 0
    Voltage (mV): 10360

15. RainForRent macrumors 6502

RainForRent

1. Starting a new thread is going to get you more views.
    2. If you only have 16 cycles on this thing, take it on down to the Apple store.

16. mrblu macrumors newbie

My battery also was way below specs: at 82% the battery lasted about twenty minutes. Nine months old, 61 cycles, still listed as 'good'. I took the MBP into an Authorized Repair shop. They kept the battery for testing, but I took the MBP home with me. Two days later they handed me a new battery - free.

The Sony battery sucked, but Apple rocks!

MrBlu