Macbook pro battery

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by tikusnakal, Dec 16, 2010.

1. tikusnakal macrumors newbie

i have macbook pro 13" and i have a question wether is it okay to keep plug in the charger even the battery has fully charged? because i'm using it at my home.

thx.:)

2. NickZac macrumors 68000

NickZac

Do not leave it plugged in all the time as you will kill the battery. Apple recommends IIRC twice a month but many rechargeable lithium based batteries say once a week. It is also a good idea to drain it as well not for the purpose of memory (as lithium ion has very little and pith polymer has even less) but for the sake of moving the 'energy' throughout the battery (I am simplifying this grossly but I don't want to start using battery jargon and have people call me a battery freak). You should really do this with all rechargeable batteries and batteries frequently cycled often outlast batteries rarely cycled.
    http://www.apple.com/batteries/notebooks.html

3. jackajesusfreak macrumors member

I just bought my brother's used MBP. He's had it at least 4 years I just bought a new battery for it and here is the info I got with the battery.

It says the initial charge should be done with the PC off.
    Once charged you should allow it to discharge completely.
    Let PC cool at least 30 minutes before recharging.
    Charge and discharge for 3 cycles.
    Recommend charge/discharge at least once every few weeks.

My brother says he always tried to charge/discharge daily. He would charge it fully and run it on battery until it discharged and repeated the process.

The original battery seem to respond positively to this process as it still would hold a decent charge prior to me deciding to buy a new one. I wanted to have 2 on hand and it was a good time to do this since the pc was new to me.

4. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

That is not Apple's recommended procedure for caring for a battery. This should answer most, if not all, of your battery questions: Apple Notebook Battery FAQ

5. simsaladimbamba

Read the link for proper instructions and links, as the one you mention is incorrect:

Btw, you can use an MBP with a power adapter, the battery does not need to be discharged daily, but the above link explains that quite good.

6. RaceTripper macrumors 68030

I use my MBP in clamshell mode all the time with an external monitor, and seldomly on the battery. Despite what some may say it's fine to run it on AC power most of the time. Discharge and recharge the battery every month or two to keep it calibrated, as per the Apple tech note on battery life.

There is a lot of B.S. out there about using batteries.

7. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

8. marshallbedsaul macrumors 6502a

marshallbedsaul

charge when needed
    and follow apple recommended cal, when needed

9. jackajesusfreak macrumors member

This is my first Mac so I am anxious to learn.

What is clamshell mode?

Also, the instructions that came with my battery said to charge and discharge 3 times right away, and then once a month or so after that.
    I have found info on the links provided here that concur about the once a month charge/discharge, but I don't see any info on the initial charge/discharge procedure.

Does the 3 charge/discharge sound right?

10. simsaladimbamba

Clamshell mode is using the MB/P with a closed lid and an external monitor.
    http://www.google.co.uk/search?q=clamshell mode&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8

Where have you read that 3 charges / discharges bit exactly?
    One charge / discharge should suffice.
    Read the link GGJstudios provides.

11. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Apple Portables: How to use your computer in closed clamshell (display closed) mode with an external display
    Those instructions didn't come from Apple. Did you buy an off-brand battery?
    Directly from Apple:
    Calibration procedure is described in detail in the FAQ link I posted.

12. jackajesusfreak macrumors member

It suggested 3 in the box that came with the battery. Yes the battery did not come from Apple.

13. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Again, where did you buy the battery?

14. jackajesusfreak macrumors member

It was off Amazon.

15. simsaladimbamba

Do you by any chance still have the link?

16. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

It's obviously not from Apple, since the instructions don't even apply to Macs:
    Apple does not refer to Macs as "PCs".

One more reason why I don't trust batteries that don't come from Apple.

17. jackajesusfreak macrumors member

I can't find the link. Question: When you are in a 'discharge' mode, should one just leave the mac on until it discharges, or can you use it, turn it off, turn it on, use it, turn it off until it discharges?

I understand there is a new 10 hour battery now?

18. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

The FAQ link I posted answers your question. Read it.

19. simsaladimbamba

You can use it, but you don't need to. Just let it discharge completely, without plugging it in before it is completely discharged, which is five hours after the blinking light has gone out.

Yes, there is a "new" 10 hour battery in the 2010 13" MBP, and no, you can't buy it and replace your current battery with it, as only Apple or Apple Authorised Shops will replace the battery and they certainly won't build one battery into a model not made for it.

Amazing, isn't it?

20. NickZac macrumors 68000

NickZac

THINK HARD ABOUT THIS BATTERY AS IT IS LIKELY VERY UNSAFE!!!!

Aftermarket batteries do not have the capacity, durability and most importantly the safety of the factory Apple battery. ANYONE who produces a battery with instructions that are completely different from Apple is likely making a POS product and is completely incompetent. Your battery probably falls into the category of most dangerous. I'd reconsider using it as the aluminum your MBP is made out of can easily become shrapnel.

The bargain basement batteries can be quite dangerous, especially the ones sold on Amazon and eBay which cost less than 1/4th of a factory battery. Aside from terrible quality control and a real-time exploding risk, they can also damage a working computer. Finally, they rarely last a long enough time to make the lesser price worth it. Oh and yes, they can and often do start fires.

Apple, and all computer manufacturers, design their batteries and computers to work in harmony together, constantly communicating with each other; the factory battery is designed withstand the conditions it will be exposed to such as heat, cold, shock, time, etc. You can go online and see a list of safe operating conditions for the battery. Aftermarket battery makers cannot anticipate and account for all of the variables that are needed to make a high powered battery as safe as a factory one. Furthermore, there are fail-safe designs that act as a dead-man's-switch which can prevent major issues such as overcharging or overheating, which can reduce the risk of damage to the battery, damage to the computer, severe personal injury, and major damage to your house. All of these safety mechanisms have little to no meaning once the battery type is switched to one that the computer is not designed to use.

21. jackajesusfreak, Dec 21, 2010
    Last edited: Dec 21, 2010
  22. jackajesusfreak macrumors member

Here is the info I'm getting from System Profile/Power:

Battery Information:

Model Information:
    Manufacturer: GSA-A1280
    Device name: bq20z95
    Pack Lot Code: 0000
    PCB Lot Code: 0000
    Firmware Version: 002a
    Hardware Revision: 000a