Macbook Pro Battery

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Madrid, Jul 17, 2011.

1. Madrid macrumors member

So I recently picked up my new 13' Macbook Pro i5. Today after about 5 days I finally calibrated the battery on it. When I was done calibrating i unplugged it and now it shows me my max charge is 97% I keep it plugged it but it says "Battery is charged" and it is only at 97% and its less then a week old. What should I do? I just finished calibrating it. Thanks:)

2. simsaladimbamba

That is normal behaviour, as the part titled CHARGING explains:

3. Madrid thread starter macrumors member

No but it says its NOT charging according to my computer its already FULLY charged but its only at 97%

4. snaky69 macrumors 603

Did you even bother reading the FAQ?

It is normal. Read it, and if you still don't understand it, we'll explain it in other words.

5. Madrid thread starter macrumors member

O alright I read it my bad :p lol Im just really worried this is my second macbook pro first one had a dead pixel sooo Im kinda regretting this purchase :(

6. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

There's nothing wrong with your battery or your MBP. Why are you regretting your purchase?

7. Casey01 macrumors member

Take it with a grain of salt. When I replaced the battery in mine it had the same thing. Nothing to worry about. You're also under warranty. So if something does happen you should be able to send it in.

8. Lennyvalentin macrumors 6502a

Lennyvalentin

Reporting battery capacity isn't an exact science. There's no way to know precisely how much charge the battery is holding at any one time (it's not like the gas tank of a car where you got a fluid you can just measure the level of and know how much is left), any figure you see reported by the computer is only going to be an estimate.

It may be an educated estimate, but that's still all it's ever going to be. Don't worry about a few percents here or there.

Also don't calibrate your battery a lot. It puts needless wear and tear on it. If you drain it out during normal use, fine, but don't drain it repeatedly just to do a "calibration".

9. Madrid thread starter macrumors member

Well because don't get me wrong I LOVE THIS COMPUTER ITS AMAZING AND FAST. But I keep running into trouble first my screen was messed up right out of the box, the store didn't want to replace it at first but they did. Then my battery shows its not charging fully which as you said its normal so I guess I should not worry. Then also my computer get REALLY hot and the fans always kick in even if im not doing anything big. Like I just have safari and itunes open and it begins to heat up.

10. Madrid thread starter macrumors member

Yes I try not to use the battery allot I mostly use it plugged into the outlet so my battery wont get used up. But when school starts Im going to be using it allot since ill be taking it to school so I hope the battery doesn't die to fast on it

11. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

This is the 4th thread you've started, asking the same battery questions. You only need one thread. Read the Battery FAQ that simsaladimbamba posted. It really will answer all your questions. You should not run plugged in all the time. You're not saving your battery by doing so, as the battery needs to be used on a regular basis to keep it healthy. Read the FAQ, as has been recommended in the other threads, as well.

The Intel processors used in Macs are designed to automatically shut down to prevent damage if they truly overheat (around 100C/212F - 105C/221F, depending on your processor). iStat Pro will give you accurate readings of your temps, among other things.

Unless there is a rare defect in your Mac, your temps are well within the normal operating range, considering the workload you're putting on it. Websites with Flash content, games and other multimedia apps will put higher demand on the CPU/GPU, generating more heat. This is normal. If you're constantly putting high demands on your system, such as gaming or other multimedia tasks, expect temps to rise and fans to spin up accordingly. It's just your Mac doing its job to maintain temps within the normal range.

Your fans are always on when your Mac is on, spinning at a minimum of 2000 rpm (for MBPs) or 1800 rpm (for MBAs and MBs). They will spin faster as needed to keep temps at a safe level. If they're spinning up without increased heat, try resetting the SMC. Also, make sure you don't block the vents, which are located at the rear, near the hinge.

You really should just relax and enjoy your Mac.