MACBook Pro Battery....

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by ccusum, Dec 13, 2011.

1. ccusum macrumors newbie

Hi, name is Chris. I have an issue with my MACBook.

What happens is I charge the battery fully to 100%. unplug it and shut it down for the night. I am at 100% when I shut it down and I know it is NOT IN SLEEP MODE. The following day, I turn it on and it is at 50%, later that day, it is either at a very low precent or 0%. I took it to the Genius Bar, and they replaced the battery and I bought a brand new charger.

I am not new to computers, I'm more of a PC guy, but I know there is something wrong my my PC laptop is outlasting my MAC.

Just to be clear, and let you know, I have a 2009 version of the MACBook pro, 15 inch. running snow leopard with the latest version of 10.6.8, 2.66GHz, Intel Core 2 Duo and I just recently wiped the HDD and reinstalled the OS with no additional apps installed.

Any one have any ideas?

P.S. as of writing this post, I lost 10% charge on the battery.

2. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

3. arpitjain304 macrumors newbie

calibration

u must calibrate ur battery at least once every month

4. miker2209 macrumors regular

miker2209

:confused:

Battery defect, even if it's in sleep mode it will only take 1% every 2 hours.
    Just make sure your MBP is completely shut down before you close the lid.

5. thundersteele macrumors 68030

This.

6. TheJing macrumors 6502a

TheJing

You have no idea what you are talking about. Calibrating the battery will not affect its capacity it will only make the readings more accurate.

7. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

False.
    This should answer most, if not all, of your battery questions:

8. ccusum thread starter macrumors newbie

Actually, I performed these tasks and it still is not working.

As far as not having to calibrate the battery is False. user removeal batteries need to be calibrated. at least once a month. So my battery is one that needs to be calibrated.

I took the laptop to a differet genius bar, and I think I got the "mother" of all techs. she agrees with me that the battery is draing too fast. she told me that it needs to go into the depot for repair, but I will look into this after the holidays and post back with what the fix it.

9. lionheart619 macrumors member

My battery max capacity is 97%. I just bought it almost weeks ago, and I never over charge it. :confused:

10. GGJstudios, Dec 20, 2011
    Last edited: Dec 20, 2011

GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Read the Battery FAQ I posted. It's normal that your battery health (max capacity) is less than 100% and that it fluctuates up and down over time. Also, you can't overcharge your battery. Even if you leave it plugged in, it automatically stops charging once it's fully charged.
    Actually, removable batteries can be calibrated every 30-60 days. It's not required that they be calibrated every month. Read the Battery FAQ. Also, the model you listed in your first post, a 2009 15" MBP 2.66MHz model, has a built-in battery, not a removable one. It does not require regular calibration.