Macbook Pro Battery

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by henhowc, May 25, 2009.

1. henhowc macrumors regular

Before I start, I am aware that Apple's official stance on battery replacements is for batteries < 300 cycles. I am just interested in hearing about anyone who might have had a problem with their battery > 300 cycles w/ Applecare.

The issue I'm having is that the battery fluctuates in its max charge rating from ~700 to ~2600. This issue started a few nights ago when my laptop just started powering down by itself with plenty of battery life left (anywhere between 70-90%). I've tried recalibrating and resetting SMC or PMU (whatever they call it now).

Every time I power on the computer with the magsafe after one of these random shutdowns the battery shows up at 0% and the aformentioned ~700 max charge. Unplugging the magsafe after a few minutes time oddly enough results in the battery jumping back up to ~2600 max. For example, I pulled these two stats from System profiler while writing up this message:

Charge Information: (After random shutdown)
    Charge remaining (mAh): 31
    Fully charged: No
    Charging: Yes
    Full charge capacity (mAh): 698
    Health Information:
    Cycle count: 503
    Condition: Fair
    Battery Installed: Yes
    Amperage (mA): 1032
    Voltage (mV): 12530

Charge Information: (After random shutdown and a few minutes charging and then removal of magsafe)
    Charge remaining (mAh): 2121
    Fully charged: No
    Charging: Yes
    Full charge capacity (mAh): 2680
    Health Information:
    Cycle count: 503
    Condition: Fair
    Battery Installed: Yes
    Amperage (mA): 902
    Voltage (mV): 12540

Is this basically an indication that my battery is totally shot or is there anything left that I might be able to try? If the former, have any of you had any luck with getting Apple to do a replacement even though your cycle count was above the norm?

I've had this laptop about 1.75 years (22 months, coconut battery shows 47% health ugh...) and my cycle count seems to be way above what everyone else posts. That being said I don't own a desktop so I guess that could definitely account for things. For those who've had their MBPs for awhile, how long does the initial battery usually last you?

2. cayenne65 macrumors newbie

Be carefull.

|'ve got MBP 17" same age as yours. It took 2 weeks for battery to grow like that.
    No chance for free replacement.

Attached Files:

3. dan5.5 macrumors 6502

I hope you are not using ur laptop with that battery in it...
    Apple might replace one of those... its very dangerous

4. cayenne65 macrumors newbie

I'm not using it but I called Apple and they don't want to replace it.

5. m85476585 macrumors 65816

Take it to an Apple store. They probably won't expect you to put it in your computer to see how many cycles are on it.