MacBook Pro battery

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by D3Si, Oct 4, 2009.

1. D3Si macrumors newbie

D3Si

I purchased my MacBook Pro about 3 weeks ago and I just checked my battery capacity on cocunutbattery and its now 93%..I'm pretty sure this isn't normal so should I contact apple about this?

[​IMG]

2. CalBoy macrumors 604

CalBoy

This actually isn't too far out of "normal." Your battery could simply be slightly older than average (remember that Lithium batteries begin to lose their maximum charge the instant they are manufactured). It's also important to keep in mind that Coconut Battery is a good estimator. It can give you a very good approximation of your battery's capacity, but don't treat it like the gospel.

I would suggest you keep track of your usage. If your battery still gives you very good timing on one full charge and after another 10 cycles hasn't degraded in terms of maximum capacity, you don't have much to worry about.

If things do keep getting worse, then you should consider talking to Apple. Just remember that they hesitate to replace batteries that have more than 80% of their maximum charge as this is the anticipated amount of degradation that will occur over a few hundred cycles, so you'd have to make your case.

3. D3Si thread starter macrumors newbie

D3Si

Alright, I have also noticed that the perecntage goes down faster then I would have thought, and the only thing running is firefox.

4. CalBoy macrumors 604

CalBoy

The next time you notice rapid power loss open activity monitor and make sure there are not other things running in the background that can contribute to the power drain.

Bluetooth (especially if something is connected), brightness settings, and video are real drains on battery life.

You should also try to mark times. Subjective judgements of "too fast" or "slower" are not going to give you a good idea of whether or not your battery is truly faulty. Try to get more precise timing the next time you use your notebook and compare this usage to what is expected in those circumstances.