Macbook Pro Battery

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Xavier, Nov 3, 2009.

1. Xavier macrumors 68020

I had my battery replaced on my Macbook Pro SR 2.4 when it exploded. Apple was happy to replace it and everything was just great.

Recently I have been noticing lesser battery life with this new battery, and am now getting a "Service Battery" warning. The batter jumped from 100% to 58% health, only having been cycled 49 times. It is about 2 months old, and I am expecting there to have been better battery life from a brand new battery.

This is very frustrating because I fear that the same problem is going to happen even if I replace it again.

2. Xavier thread starter macrumors 68020

And now after using my computer off battery power i noticed that there was about 58 minutes left. The next time I looked, it said 2 hours and 8 minutes.

I then looked at the battery health and it said 100%??

Anyone have any idea what is going on?

3. 1rottenapple macrumors 65816

maybe battery recalibration?

Last time I had an issue apple tech had me do some power cycles, resetting the p-ram, and basically resetting the power settings. I'd call them and have you go through the process and see if that fixes the issues.

4. MarcBook macrumors 6502a

MarcBook

There's a bit of an issue with the battery features in Snow Leopard, I think. There's plenty of discussion going on about this 'Service Battery' message. It seems to pop up on almost all Mac laptops after an upgrade to Snow Leopard.

I wouldn't be too worried at this stage if I were you. Mine recently came up with the 'Service Battery' message whilst I was on a train journey. I opened Battery Health Monitor and it reported a capacity of only 65% (with 29 cycles)... Bit of a shock! :eek:

Then when I got back home I plugged it in, let it charge up to full and then unplugged it again. The 'Service Battery' message disappeared and my capacity was up to 86%.

In other words, I think the battery monitoring functions in Snow Leopard still have some bugs that need ironing out. :rolleyes:

5. Xavier thread starter macrumors 68020

Interesting. That is good (and also bad to hear).

It's good that my battery probably isn't dying but bad that a bug like this is that wide spread.

Thanks for the info. I will avoid the trip to the Apple store.. for now

6. kryptonianjorel macrumors 6502

You are aware that SL doesn't monitor battery health any differently than leopard did, it just moved the battery health info from the system profiler to a place where the user will actually see it.

7. MarcBook macrumors 6502a

MarcBook

Hmmm... you might be right, but I've read in several threads on this website (and others) that describe similar symptoms (where the battery capacity reading changes and the 'Service Battery' message comes and goes). Although Snow Leopard uses the same method to measure battery life, it could be that there are one or two little bugs adversely affecting it.

I don't know for sure, of course, but from what I've seen the bug is quite widespread.

8. warburg macrumors 6502

I bought a 17" MacBook Pro running Snow Leopard about a week ago. So far, I have kept it plugged in and have not run it on the battery.

It's probably foolish, but I find it annoying that although the battery icon shows a full charge, the percentage indicator consistently reads 99%. I've never before had a computer that doesn't register a full charge at 100%. Is there any significance in this?

I have the computer pluged into a surge protector.

9. dr-core macrumors newbie

i have 15" 2.4 running leopard, cycle count at 240.

recently, after a full charge with a 100% indication i unplug to see that battery life remaining is never more than 2hours. a restart usually rectifies this(if i dont batt is dead in 1.5hrs) and i can expect time remaining to show anything from 3:40 to 4:20. actual battery life is about 2.5 to 3hours.

anyone else with similar specs and issues? remedies?