MacBook Pro Battery

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by chaostik, Jan 5, 2010.

1. chaostik macrumors newbie

Hi all,

My mid-2007 15" MacBook Pro has a battery that is all but dead (9% health), despite only 155 cycles. This isn't the battery that came with the machine: when it was just under a year old, the machine started randomly shutting off at about 50% juice left and so Apple replaced it. Unfortunately, the replacement battery is now over a year old so I don't imagine Apple will help me.

So .... I went hunting for new battery prices and nearly fell off my chair when I saw Apple charge basically £100 on the online store! I was even more confused when I went Googling: I've turned up prices from £32 to £100 for 15" MacBook Pro batteries and a truly bewildering array of model numbers. My own battery says model number A1175 and it seems to be when I search specifically for that that I get the lowest prices *but* the images never seem to show Apple branded stuff (eg: this here has no Apple wording or logo visible on enlarged image)

So, are there any kind souls out there who can help me understand:

i) Will any battery that is for a 15" MBP work for me, or do I need to get an A1175 again? How does a human being decode the battery model numbers?
    ii) Why the *huge* discrepancy in prices and why (I suspect linked) is the Apple logo missing from so many batteries that people are selling as MBP batteries?
    iii) Am I safe buying one of these non-Apple store batteries? Will it void what remains of my 3-year warranty which runs through to June 2010?

In a nut-shell I'm a poor student and seem to go through batteries one a year: I can't afford to shell out £100 each time, but nor do I want to damage my MBP (or void remaining warranty) by buying dodgy ones.

Thanks!

Louis

2. chaostik thread starter macrumors newbie

Oops, I've been a slightly naughty boy and just noticed there's a battery thread a few below this, but the questions are slightly different so I hope I won't get flamed for it :eek::D

3. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

As you've discovered, there are existing threads dealing with almost everything you can think of. Searching the forum with MRoogle will usually find answers to most of your questions.