Macbook Pro beeping and wont boot. Not regular beeps.

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by punjabimc, Apr 8, 2014.

1. punjabimc macrumors newbie

Hi,

So basically my 2009 13" MBP ran out of battery in the morning before i left for work. I plugged it in to charge and left. I came back home and this is exactly what happened when i would turn it on:

- Laptop turns on, startup chime and then stuck on white screen (chimes only once, it does not repeat)

- Continuously producing a beeping 'tone' even before the startup chime. The beeps are timed at one every 2.5s.

These beeps are not timed like the ones described here: http://support.apple.com/kb/HT5860?viewlocale=en_US
    Also, the LED does not flash.

Additionally, when i removed both RAMs, I would hear both the 'No RAM beep' AND the tone. They are distinct in sound. The No-RAM-beep would sound every 5s, and the tone every 2.5s.

I've tried resetting NVRAM using cmd+option+p+r. My laptop did restart but once again was stuck at the same place.

Any ideas what is wrong and how I could fix it? I'm 2000miles from an apple store and wont have access to one till August. I've tried searching as much as possible but have been unable to find someone with the same problem.

Thanks!

Some more info:

- I upgraded to Mavericks a month or two back.

- My DVD-ROM has not been working for the past 3+ years.

2. Marty62 macrumors 6502

Probable causes :

Dead HDD
    Error with the HDD header information
    HDD internal cable failed / not seated properly

Do you have another system drive or TM backup available ?

No DVD drive working means you need another drive OR thumb drive with a
    system on to try and boot the machine.

Without one of those OR a working external DVD drive to put a system disk into, there's
    not much more I could advise !

Come back with some more info / what can you get your hands on ?

M.

3. punjabimc thread starter macrumors newbie

Hey thanks for the post!

So i plucked out my HDD, stuck it into an enclosure and then plugged it into a friend's mac. It started making the beeping noise! I assume my HDD is gone then? Any way to recover the data?

4. Marty62 macrumors 6502

So there was no way to "boot" from the drive or see the data ??

Probably "toast" then, unless it's very important and you can get some
    data recovery company to rescue the drive ! = expensive !

Could be that something like "Disk Warrior" software or "Data Rescue" software
    might be able to get some / all of the files back ... no idea but worth a try !!

Data Rescue saved one of my drives but it was "failing" and had errors rather than a
    totally failed boot drive.

Lesson to learn here is BACKUP YOUR WORK !!

It will bite you otherwise and it just has ... sorry for the result though :(

M.