Macbook pro beeps really loudly and continuously after being on for a couple days

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by crazymike, Jul 10, 2008.

1. crazymike macrumors newbie

So i just upgraded my mac book pro (2.4ghz) from the standard 2 gigs of ram to 4 gigs of PNY DDR2 PC2-5300 optima dual channel memory. within a week of doing so i have seen my mac completely freeze on me and also after having been on for a day or 2 it will start making this really really loud continuous abnoxious beeping noise that wont stop unless i kill the power and the screen is off but there is still power going to the machine, only thing im able to do is hit power button or pull battery.... whats wrong?????? is this memory not compatible or is it that i just got unlucky and should try the same stuff just diff sticks (they were over $300 at best buy)

what are your thoughts and suggestions?? is there a way to test ram on a macbook pro?

2. nyzballa12 macrumors member

Are the beeps in a sequence when you start the computer?

3. crazymike thread starter macrumors newbie

no, its not when i first turn on the comp, it will be after its been on for a day or 2 and its not a consistent time frame. but its happened 2 times now. it kind of sounds like popcorn is popping and crackling but much much louder, when i first heard it i thought the hard drive was crashing, but i killed the power and started it up and it still works.

the beeps and crackling do not stop till after i kill the power and the screen is black, nothing seems to be able to wake the machine (i have it so that the machine does not go to sleep, not the screen or anything, but i do lower the brightness when i leave for work.

4. UltraNEO* macrumors 601

UltraNEO*

Does it still beep, if you replace the modules with the original ram?

If it's only beeping since you've installed the upgrade...
    it'll be cause from one of a few things..

1. memory not sitting in correctly - remove and reinstall
    2. mismatch in the memory sizes, not 100% compatible
    3. faulty memory modules...

5. pstrauss macrumors newbie

I just got the same problem. My Macbook Pro was in sleep for 2 days while I was out of town. I came back and opened it up, pressed Spacebar to wake the machine up, which it made it usual noise in harddrive, but nothing came up on screen. I tried pressing Power to restart which made the computer make a series of loud BEEPS in a sequence of three beeps, small pause, three beeps. The small light where you open the Macbook on the front was flashing in sequence with the beeps. I had to hold the power button for several seconds to get it to restart, it restarted fine and is now working.

I haven't upgraded or touched the hardware. What is the problem??