Macbook Pro behaving all kinds of weird

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Mrapollo, Aug 3, 2011.

1. Mrapollo macrumors newbie

Hi there, new member here, hope someone can help!
    Today I took delivery of a new 11 inch Macbook Air. Started migrating over wi-fi from my 2009 Macbook Pro and obviously it was taking forever so I stopped it after a few hours. Now doing a backup restore to the Macbook Air from Time Capsule which seems to be going much quicker. However, my Macbook Pro has now started behaving really strangely. Particularly, it won't recognise clicks on my magic mouse at all (although it recognises movement) and I have to press hard on the trackpad for it to recognise clicks, all of which it recognises as a right-click. Have tried monkeying about with trackpad and magic mouse setting but to no avail. Also tried connecting a Mighty Mouse and using that, again no clicks just movement.
    When it started doing this, if I restarted the computer it would work fine for about a minute and then start doing this. Now it's just doing this. Also it seemed to have logged me out of my home network but now logged back in. It's running Lion by the way and has been a little glitchy since installing that anyway but so far nothing like this. Is it connected to the aborted migration or the currently restoring Macbook Air perhaps? Both computers would be having the same user account signed (that's ok right)? Please can someone help!

2. Mrapollo thread starter macrumors newbie

Ok, solved now. But in case anyone else gets this problem, I took it to the genius bar and we discussed various things such as erase & install etc. Then he noticed that the Trackpad wasn't sitting right so he took it out the back to re-sit it and immediately discovered the problem: the battery had swollen and was pressing up on the trackpad from underneath. Bought brand new battery and MBP is now working just fine. Fixed!

3. head honcho 123 macrumors 6502

wow that's scary.

i'm surprised that the expanded battery didn't deform any of the aluminum of the laptop....

glad apple fixed it for you right away.

honestly though if it was me i would've asked for a new laptop if there were any physical damages to the bottom casing or the palm rest area. (because u said the battery expanded and was pushing up against the track pad).