macbook pro bent cd slot

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by bobbypotluck, Mar 18, 2009.

1. bobbypotluck macrumors member

I just noticed today that my Cd slot is warped and bent. To see if it was jsut aesthetic i tried putting a cd which took a little bit of force. i then found that the drive was unable to eject the disk. Does anyone know a fix or if this would be covered under warranty? There was no event that led to this happening, i carry it around in my backpack all day, i cant imagine if it knocked by something or what.

Attached Files:

2. ViciousShadow21 macrumors 68020

ViciousShadow21

from that picture it looks like the undercase warped. the top seems pretty level.

i dont think that is going to be covered under warrenty. i would say that a trip to an apple store is in order to see what they say.

you could try bending it back....carefully

3. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Yes but really?
    The top looks bent to me.

4. 11800506 macrumors 65816

I believe this is one of the reasons they switched the Unibody's disc drive to the side as many drives were getting warped and bent from pressure daily from the resting of hands there.

5. MistaBungle macrumors 6502a

MistaBungle

I don't think a resting hand will do that damage but I know on my PB12", thhat spot and the same area on the other side are 'grapple points' for when the screen is open and I'm moving around.

6. ViciousShadow21 macrumors 68020

ViciousShadow21

it cant get any more messed up than it already is. but i would only do this after you hear from apple.

the reason the top looks bent i believe is an optical illusion. if you look closely u can see where the under casing has separated from the top.

7. m85476585 macrumors 65816

Mine looked like that after I upgraded my hard drive. There are some clips there that hold it together, and they can be difficult to get back in after taking the laptop apart. What I did was wedge a bunch of paper (cardboard would also work, as long as it will not be crushed when you put pressure on it) in the slot, then press down on the top case. It took some force, but the hardest part was getting it to snap in without bending it more.

8. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

We are clearly not talking about the same thing. I saw the top as the top part ... giving no consideration to the "under casing" and considering the top of the slot the top and the bottom ... well the bottom. Therefore, when I say the bottom doesn't look bent in theory, I'm really referring to the bottom of the slot. Nevertheless, I see your point in the matter and if you were to remove that thin top casing I guess you'd be left with the bottom.

9. bobbypotluck thread starter macrumors member

i cant imagine a way that this could even be done intentionally. my girlfriend had a crack on the faceplate of her macbook and they replaced it saying it was a known problem. then again macbooks are made of plastic, or at least used to be. you'd think the pro would be a bit more durable. i hope this is a known problem as well. i wont be near an apple store for a while though so i guess i'll just have to deal with no discs for a while, not that i even use my disc drive all that often.

10. kevzy macrumors member

Same problem

Hi, I had they same problem with my MBP a few weeks after i bought it. See this thread http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=579749

The superdrive made a really loud noise when you put a disk in. When I took it to the Apple store the genius said I must have been putting too much pressure on it or picking it up on that side with one hand. I had only had the MBP for a few weeks and had been very protective of it, I hadn't dropped it either.

The genius agreed to replace the superdrive when he heard the noise it made. I got a call from the technician telling me not to put pressure on the right hand side, he didn't believe me when I told him that I didn't do it.

When I got my MBP back the superdrive was replaced but the metal casing had just been pushed back into place. It was still a bit saggy but worked fine.

Hope this helps, good luck.

11. ViciousShadow21 macrumors 68020

ViciousShadow21

his wont eject the disk anymore tho. if apple says that there is nothing they can do for you. i would try and bend it back yourself. go slowly and start from the edge and work your way in.

12. mikes70mustang macrumors 68000

mikes70mustang

the moral of the story is.......dont jam stuff into things that look broke

13. CitiXen macrumors member

CitiXen

I bet this is one of the reasons why they went to the new unibody design.

14. mikes70mustang macrumors 68000

mikes70mustang

fix one problems and get a whole lot of others

15. MrZebra macrumors regular

So basically we're now supposed to simply look at the laptop and not to touch anything else except the keyboard and trackpad? :rolleyes:

16. lyptt macrumors newbie

I had this identical issue with an old MBP - eventually it got so bad the drive literally sealed up so far that I couldn't put anything in there anymore.

If you take it to apple they'll say it's accidental damage - they did for me and I had to pay up £150 for a repair - ridiculous.

17. sascha h-k macrumors 6502

sascha h-k

i think, the only way to repair it is, that you dissamble the body and take it to a fine-mechanic, i'm sure he can repair it that you think you have a "new" one.

take a look at ifixit, to see how to dissamble correctly ...

good luck !

18. bobbypotluck thread starter macrumors member

Took it to the "genius" bar. They said it's not covered under warranty, but they have a tool in the back that could bend it back for me. He said it's caused by picking your laptop up with too much pressure on top of the CD slot. It's a known problem. Works/looks perfect now.

Attached Files:

19. shoulin333 macrumors 6502a

Cool man, did they charge you anything? How long did it take them to fix it?

20. enophi1 macrumors 6502a

enophi1

Looks Good! :)

Hopefully it won't happen again.

21. assassinm4 macrumors member

a bottom case cost just 30 USD on ebay. if they insist to charge you ridiculously high, then why not do it yourself? the guides are on ifixit anyway

22. bobbypotluck thread starter macrumors member

No it was free. It was a kind of I can do it with your permission type thing, but no guarantee it will work. He never even looked up if i was under warranty. Plus he mentioned the same thing happened to his macbook pro twice so i guess he could sympathize with me. I'm curious as to what kind of tool he used to so next time i dont have to go back, not that i plan on doing it again.

It took him an easy 5 minutes in the back to fix.