MacBook Pro Bent During Repairs...

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Patrick327, Dec 12, 2008.

1. Patrick327 macrumors newbie

Hello.

I recently had a problem with the display on my MBP. The upper right corner was much brighter than the rest of the display which was bothering me, so I brought it into the Apple Store to see if they could do anything about it. The Genius I was talking to said it didn't look normal and that he was going to take it into the back of the store to get a second opinion. Sure enough, it was an issue and he told me that they were going to replace the display. I was more than happy with that, authorized the repairs, and went home.

I get a call a couple days later saying to come pick it up. I run in and get it, turn it on, make sure everything is there, sign the release (probably a bad decision in retrospect) and drive home. Unfortunately, when I get home and set it down on my desk, I see that it's obviously bent. The lid has never closed like this before.

[​IMG]

The lid has a fairly tight seal on the right side, but it's bent upwards a fair amount on the left side. At first I thought they had put a bent or warped display on my MBP. Upon further inspection, though, it appears that the top case was bent near the left latch slot. I know the MBP top case has to literally be pried off in order to service anything, so I imagine that the technician used a bit too much force and probably neglected to evenly disperse the force he was putting on it, only prying in one spot.

[​IMG]

If you look to the left of the latch release button, you can clearly see that the top case is bent up. The plastic rim has also been separated from the aluminum part of the top case. So, what started as one issue quickly turned into another. The way I see it, the latch slot on the left is bent up, causing an uneven surface for the display to rest on, and magnifying that fact on the far left of the computer.

Here are some more pictures of it with the lid down:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

It looks pretty awful. Now, you might ask "What's the big deal, Patrick? It still works, doesn't it?" Well yes, it does still work. But, I don't have to tell you guys how much this thing costs, especially when you're a college student. I'd like it to be perfect, so it is a big deal. It's a huge deal, actually.

I called the Apple Store back immediately, explained that I had just gotten my laptop serviced and that its top case had been bent during servicing. The gentleman there said "Okay, let's schedule another appointment and we'll try and get that issue resolved." He made it sound like they would be willing to fix it, but I'm not so sure that they will. I mean, I did sign the papers and leave after the repairs had been done. It was only when I got home that I realized that it had been damaged.

So here's where I ask for your thoughts on this matter.

1)Do you think they'll acknowledge the fact that they bent my laptop and replace my top case?

The Genius that originally helped me told me how incredibly well I had taken care of my laptop, so he can vouch for the fact that it was perfect when I brought it in (if he's there, that is).

2)Do you think the display is bent or do you agree that it's the top case?

Additional details: I got this computer about a year ago, the limited warranty has not yet expired, it has an AppleCare Protection Plan, it's a late 2007 2.2GHz 15-inch MBP, and the lid originally closed perfectly.

Let me know what you guys think.

Patrick

2. Semiopaque macrumors regular

No use worrying too much until you take it in and see what they say. It may just be that the top portion of the main body wasn't 'popped' in all the way and it might be an easy fix. Hard to say from the photos, though, as I can't see any clear, permanent looking bend in the top of the main body so they may just need to secure it, um, more securely.

3. Patrick327 thread starter macrumors newbie

You're right, but I figured I'd share and see if anyone has had a similar experience. The top portion has been put on correctly. It's just bent. I've tried to push that portion down and it's not going anywhere.

4. HLdan macrumors 603

HLdan

Well to be honest you didn't ask anyone in your OP if they had similar experiences. Your OP only asks if we think Apple will acknowledge what they allegedly did which was bend the case during repair. You seem suspiciously worried for some reason, you shouldn't be, should you? You went through an awful lot of trouble to post all these pics and you're worried that they won't fix it, sounds a bit suspicious.

Now that I am finished playing Sherlock Holmes, just take it in since they said they would look at it. You just had it fixed, signing the papers doesn't mean anything, you can still acknowledge issues due to the repair after the fact.

Honestly, we can't help you here. It doesn't matter what our opinion is, Apple has to look at it first.

5. darwinian macrumors 6502a

darwinian

You can apply pressure onto the top case above the gap, right at the edge there, across the entire front edge, and you may hear the snaps snapping back into place. If you're uncomfortable with this, then take it in. But that would most probably fix it.

Because it's not on the optical drive side, you can actually apply a fair amount of pressure onto it. It requires quite a bit in order to get that snap back into place.

6. Patrick327 thread starter macrumors newbie

Okay, I didn't specifically ask for similar experiences, you're right. The first question is sort of an opener for people to share their experiences, though. As in "I would say yes, they probably will acknowledge that the damage was their fault because when they damaged my computer, they fixed it no questions asked." Or something to that effect.

And no, this isn't some kind of devious plot I have, I'm just a perfectionist and I was looking for some reassurance. If I seem worried, it's because I read the contract I signed and there was a clause that made it seem ambiguous if they would fix damages that they have caused.

As far as going through a lot of trouble to post this is concerned, the semester just ended and I have a lot of free time.

Nice analysis, though.

Thanks, Darwinian. I might give that a try.

7. hari-bhari macrumors regular

i think they will take care of it. if the genius gives you trouble, then ask for the store manager. if they give you trouble, then phone up apple customer relations and i can guarantee you 100% they will take care of you. i once had a horrible experience at the apple store where the genius was a pompous jerk, they shipped my laptop to the wrong address, and i had to drive 5 hours to pick it up. i got on the phone with the store manager, got a $100 gift card. got on the phone with customer relations and got a free copy of leopard (this was last year obviously). and as for that 'genius,' well let's just say i didn't see him at that store any longer.

8. sacredeye macrumors newbie

I had the same exact problem. Had to have the logicboard replaced, picked up the repaired MacBook Pro and when I got it back to my job, I noticed considerable warping on the front of the chassis. The left side had the same warping in your photos and the right side above the disk slot side had 2-3 times the warping in your photos. When I initially gave the laptop to the Genius Bar employee, he commented approvingly on the immaculate condition of the laptop despite it being over a year old.

I went back to the Apple Store and brought up the issue. A Genius employee used a plastic tool that was inserted into the disk slot to snap it back into the place but the left side was still warped. I mentioned this and he replied "Its within specs." I told him it didn't come in this way and I would like it snapped back properly. He gave me the same reply and we went back and forth about 4 times before he walked away. I stood there stunned that they ignored this matter. Now it takes more pressure for the display to close and I'm afraid that the constant wear and tear of doing this might cause the display to warp.

9. drewsof07 macrumors 68000

drewsof07

Call Applecare and reference your repair number, tell them your machine was damaged during the repair and you need to speak to someone about that. They should now transfer you to a higher department. Tell them you have pictures of the damage to email for inspection. I always take detailed pictures of my machine before it ships out because of a bad experience with a previous MBP that was replaced because of
    Most importantly, be respectful but firm. Nobody likes to deal with jerks, especially when getting your computer fixed (correctly) is at risk.
    Good luck