MacBook Pro Bent Metal

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by krik23, Dec 5, 2008.

1. krik23 macrumors newbie

So, my friend trying to be funny on ichat, pulls out this pineapple I had on the kitchen counter, and drops it on the edge of my MacBook Pro. So, it looked like no damage but now, back at school, I noticed the metal over the slot drive is bent. I have included some pictures down below. I called apple asked if they sell replacement bottom halves of the mbp aluminum casing, but they said it would be $510, plus $100 labor; they wont even let you do it yourself if you were to buy it. Anyways, I was wondering if anyone knew how to manually fix this.

Image 1

Image 2

Direct links to copy and paste if these ^^ aren't working:

http://img267.imageshack.us/my.php?image=img0300qo1.jpg

http://img176.imageshack.us/my.php?image=img0301vt6.jpg

2. waloshin macrumors 68040

waloshin

3. krik23 thread starter macrumors newbie

4. Hawkeye411 macrumors 68000

Hawkeye411

Sounds to me like you friend needs to write you a check for $610. :mad:

5. darwinian macrumors 6502a

darwinian

I may be able to help - this happened to my MBP too. First things first. Along several points along the front edge of the MBP are a bunch of clips that snap the top case into the bottom case. One of those is located right around the largest point in the gap in the image. Basically what may help is if that clip gets secured.

In order to do this, Apple geniuses generally have a spudger (crazy word) that can apply the necessary force to pop the clip into place. Alternatively, here's the method I used and got it to secure, more or less. (Still a small gap exists, but it's better.)

Probably your computer should be off during this.

Take two CDs - something cheap, like AOL discs (do they still send these in the mail?) or CDs from some bad band. Put one CD partially in the drive, far left, and put the other CD partially in the drive, far right. Allow the discs to overlap some to fill the CD slot completely. Obviously, don't cram both discs into the machine. Apply pressure to the edge where the gap was largest and try to listen for a clip snapping into place.

The CDs are basically there to close the slot so you don't crack the case. Use caution as always, and don't do this if you're not comfortable with it. It worked for me; definitely isn't guaranteed. Hope it works out for someone.