MacBook Pro bent USB plug

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by hftvhftv, Dec 14, 2014.

1. hftvhftv macrumors newbie

hftvhftv

My sister dropped my MacBook Pro :D ( early 2011 15 inch) on it's side with her iPhone lightning cable plugged in and it ended up landing on the cable bending my logic board and messing the USB header, the Mac itself still worked, but I couldn't use any ports. From the side-view it looked absolutely borked and had a bulge from the bottom panel being pressed against. I did a complete teardown to relieve any pressure and bent the header back with my finger as far as I could go, but the contacts still didn't look right, and I wasn't going to force it so I tried putting it back together and it booted. But should I try the USB? I don't want to short my board ($800!)

2. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

I doubt you will short the board out. That being said, while there is no harm in testing out the ports, I doubt they will work. I think your sister owes you some money for repairs...

3. hftvhftv thread starter macrumors newbie

hftvhftv

Hehe, my sister does, I'll test the port soon here.

4. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

Report back with the results. I hope you are able to get your MacBook repaired, but it may be too far gone depending on the damage. Logic boards and the unibody case are both expensive parts. Care to post any pictures of the damage?