Macbook Pro best configuration for video/photo editor

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by macchristam, May 25, 2010.

1. macchristam macrumors newbie

I'm purchasing a Macbook Pro and I will be using it primarily for video and photo editing. I will need strong hd write performance for video encoding. I would also like a very fast load time for my apps such as photoshop and final cut.

I am considering SSD drive for fast load of my apps. I would put the OS and all apps on the SSD. I would get a second drive, the fast Momentus XT from Seagate, and install it where the DVD drive is currently located. I would use the second drive for all data such as photos and video. This would give me fast write speeds for encoding and transferring video and photos from the camera to the MBP.

Is this the fastest configuration I can get, without buying a SSD drive as a second drive?

Any comments?

2. Jaxdialation macrumors regular

Video editing is not my forte. However I have a 17" i7 with essentially the same drive strategy you are thinking about. It handles BIG files through Lightroom and CS5 like the are trivial.

Here's what I'd suggest. Get a bigger SSD, and keep your active projects on that drive as well. For me, this is done easily on a 200g SSD. I might have about 80g that I am really working on, or want handy.

Video is different game, but for photo you will be very happy.