MacBook Pro - Black Friday, or wait?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Jaiden, Nov 23, 2009.

1. Jaiden macrumors member

Hi,
    I'm in the market for a new MBP, but I've run into a bit of a dilemma:

Should I save 100 dollars and get the slightly outdated MBP this Friday, or wait and possibly regret basically "paying" for a slight technical upgrade I dont need?

The way I see it:
    - Black Friday, outdated MBP, 100 dollars cheaper
    - Wait for Upgrade (possibly too far away - I need one in the next month), pay 100 dollars more, possibly for an update I don't care for/need.

Anyone have info on new chips, etc. that apple is yet to implement? Should I save 100 bucks or go for the sale? As I said I really need one in the next month or so, so if there isn't one expected by then...

Thanks for any help, sorry If the post is a bit mucked up, it's been a long day >.<

Edit: Probably worth noting that I plan on getting the top model

2. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

No updates until at least January. Buy now if you need it.

3. J&JPolangin macrumors 68030

...if you can ask the question "should I wait" then most likely you can wait for those new models...

If the new models aren't to your liking, the older models will hit the refurb store at roughly the same price point they'd be putting them "on sale" for during black Friday...

4. Jaiden thread starter macrumors member

J&J, It's not that I can wait very long - I just don't want to buy it and see a new one come out 2 days later.

Flopticalcube - Thanks for the help without the attitude. Just what I was asking for. =)

5. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

Nothing is coming until January if that is what you are getting at.

6. lilskaterpunk macrumors regular

lilskaterpunk

This may be asking to much but it is usually in the beginning of January they have the Keynote or Apple show?
    Do u think the MBP 13.3'' models will change as in looks and aluminum body? I really like the colors of the MBP 13.3'' now and if I hold off till January, I don't want to see Apple change them to lets say White like the MB and loss of some features :(

7. Eric S. macrumors 68040

Eric S.

8. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

MacWorld was that event - this will be the first year Apple Inc. will not be partaking.

The near-unanimous belief is that given Intel's roadmap Apple will announce quad-core processors for the higher-end MacBook Pros sometime in January/February. I would say that the MacBook will not be updated and I believe that the 13" will receive a processor bump, but not the quad-core. The distinction between MacBook and MacBook Pro means that I believe that the 13" will retain its distinctive features to help distinguish the model (MacBook Pro) between the MacBook.

9. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

You can always exchange your computer within the 14-day return period for any updated models that are released.

10. Corrode macrumors 6502a

Corrode

Anyone who starts another "13" MBP, wait or buy?" thread and then get's mad at someone for giving them the "buy now if you need it" answer should've never created the thread in the first place...

That being said, what are the chances that the new release of MBP's will do what you can't do with the current model? I love mine. The biggest benefit of buying now: you'll have it NOW. Get it. I wouldn't change a thing on mine.

11. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

You say this now, as you have your machine and there is no new one, just wait.

12. Eric S. macrumors 68040

Eric S.

Not quad-core, Arrandale. Dual-core, four cpu threads, Westmere architecture.

13. Jaiden thread starter macrumors member

I was thanking flopticalcube for giving me a straight up answer, without a smartass attitude (unlike J&J, thus the comment).

Anyway, thank you for the help everyone, should definitely aid me in my decision.

14. zbasarab macrumors member

J&J wasn't being a smartass. You should chill out

15. pukifloyd macrumors 6502a

pukifloyd

If you don't need the new updated model then go for it now.

16. J&JPolangin macrumors 68030

..you need not be so emotional about advice you get on a net forum... I was giving you honest objective advice based on the question you asked... most people who ask a "should I wait" question can wait, not needing the product "now"... if you waited and didn't like the newer models the "old" models would then be cheaper via the refurb store = all fact... don't like the advise, well then :p

17. opera57 macrumors 6502

If you really want one, just go for it. Should be some good deals on friday! [​IMG]

18. Jaiden thread starter macrumors member

So, several people have confronted me r.e the "smart ass" comment...it's a widely known problem with text on the net being deciphered differently, especially when you take out that level of emotion. Maybe its just the way I read it, but when you put "..." at the start of a comment that COULD be said in the voice of an up himself 15 year old (not saying J&J is, at all), I see it as someone basically saying "thats obvious, your a dumbass noob". Something along those lines. Obviously I have taken it the wrong way and I apologise.

Thanks,
    - Jaiden

19. SponPlague macrumors newbie

UK bods should remember the VAT increase to 20% in January, too...

20. AAPLaday Guest

AAPLaday

Hey this thread is from Black Friday last year :p

21. joepunk macrumors 68030

joepunk

22. Jaiden thread starter macrumors member

Haha wow, this was a year ago 0.o.

I feel like going back in time a year and slapping my past self across the face >.<. J&J was completely right, and I was just an arse back to him.

Oh, and also...
    I myself was 15 at the time. Hey, at least I was right about arrogant 15 year olds.

23. J&JPolangin macrumors 68030

...no worries... did you ever get a laptop?

24. Jaiden thread starter macrumors member

Haha yep, I'm typing from my 17" MPB as we speak. She's a beauty, and yeah I ended up getting it around....early December last year? Hoping it'll last me for a few more years through uni and all that, though I might just get a little Macbook for taking lecture notes and the such.