Macbook Pro black screen, what to do?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Barrynator, Jan 28, 2011.

1. Barrynator macrumors newbie

Hi,
    got a Macbook Pro 2.66 ghz bought sometime in 2008, and it has been my best friend and life-partner next to my wife and kid since then.

But today when I came home from work the screen was completely black.
    When I try to start it up i get the hard-drive sound but not the apple chime, I can hear the hard-drive buzzing but nothing happens. Also the sleep light is on, but it is constant, not dimming.

I did a fast google search and found some references to the logic board, but nothing to specific.
    Anyone able to help or share some wisdom?
    I would prefer not to buy a new one since they are quite expensive here in norway:)

Thank you!

2. aCondor macrumors 6502

I would say to go to an Apple store but I assume you don't have one nearby in Norway? That's usually the best bet in these types of situations.

3. Barrynator thread starter macrumors newbie

We have some stores that carry apple products but im looking for a quick and easy fix here. Something along the lines of push here and press that for 3 sec:D
    I suspect that the logic board is fuxxed and i need to buy a new one, but could use some input from the expertise this forum carries.

4. ExiledMafia macrumors regular

Go to an apple store, I dont see this as something that you can do over the phone.

5. rychencop macrumors 65816

rychencop

take it in...same thing happen with mine wed. it's the gpu and requires a new logic board.

6. Barrynator thread starter macrumors newbie

How much did it cost?

7. jamesarm97 macrumors 65816

Must be the thing now. My 2006 Macbook Pro just went black yesterday right before I left work. I use the DVI port at work and nothing on the monitor either. I can connect via screen sharing but the lcd and dvi does not work anymore. I tried rebooting and pram reset. The about this mac shows the GMA950 but no displays so I guess I am screwed. How long to the new Macbook Pros get refreshed? I use this for work and can't really wait.

8. rychencop macrumors 65816

rychencop

bill was $902.64. didn't cost me a cent.