MacBook Pro Black Screen

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Shambles45, Apr 6, 2011.

1. Shambles45 macrumors newbie

Hi.
    I have a 5 month old MBP 15.4'' Alluminum body intel core i7 laptop.
    I was using it this morning, everything was fine, normal day. I packed it up, flew out to work. The laptop was with me at all times, so it wasn't dropped or anything. I'm now at work (camp job in the bush) and tried to turn it on and the screen kind of turns on (lighter black colour than when it's off). I hear it boot up, chimes, I can even hit the volume key and hear it clicking. But no video. I've tried a few different things:
    -reset the PRAM(ctrl+option+p+r) it flashes white for a millisecond and rests at a black screen again.
    -Tried to boot in safe mode (Shift+power button) but I can't see any difference.
    I have no access to external monitors or any stores or help for a few weeks. Any suggestions? Solutions? Tips?
    Also, I have a futureshop 3 year warranty, and the apple warranty is still in effect. Best option to wait till I get back to civilization? I'll try anything that might work in the meantime.

2. McGiord macrumors 601

McGiord

Do you have any magnet with you?
    Careful with the magnet.

Are you running it on the battery or power cord?

Could it be that MacBook Pro still believes that the screen is down?
    Open and close the screen several times to see if it changes?

3. josakramer macrumors newbie

MacBook Pro Black Screen

Me too having prob with the screen.
    My prob was when i boot up the screen was light up and the apple logo was there but when it load the os the screen turn to black.
    When i attach external monitor to the MBP it was no prob at all.I can it use with the external plug in monitor...anyone can help. :confused:

4. Shambles45 thread starter macrumors newbie

I don't have a magnet with me. Are you suggesting that a magnet might be the problem? Or solution? Because I'm sure I can find one.

I've tried with battery and on power cord. Same thing with both. And the battery is not accessible so I can't try taking the battery out either.
    Tried opening and closing the screen, nothing. When the screen is open, the standby light on the front of the laptop is off, and when I close it, the light pulsates like normal, so I don't think that's it.

Really need to figure this out. It's frustrating. Please help.

5. dgbowers macrumors member

dgbowers

It sounds like the connector from the LCD to the Logic Board is either fried, or has somehow come disconnected. If you can get to an Apple Store, they'll fix it or give you a new one, since you're still under AppleCare. That would be the best option. Other than that though, you're probably out of luck. :(

6. McGiord macrumors 601

McGiord

Use flashlight on the screen and look carefully on the screen, if you are able to see the desktop/icons, then it might a be backlight issue.

About the magnet:
    http://support.apple.com/kb/TS2917

Call Apple Care, they can troubleshoot over the phone.

7. Shambles45 thread starter macrumors newbie

A flashlight on the screen? Don't have a flashlight but I looked really hard and there's nothing.
    I think I'm just gonna wait a week and go to futureshop, let them take a look at it.
    Is it possible that there was pressure on the top side of the computer at some point and that did something to it? Maybe like broke something on the backside of the screen? I'm trying to think of anything that could have happened.
    Thanks for the help. And anymore ideas? I'll try them out.

8. tmagman macrumors 6502

as trivial as it sounds... did you try the backlight increase button? cause if the backlight is all the way down it appears literally off but the computer will still function normally. I had this problem once (more of a problem between my chair and keyboard) but its worth mentioning.