MacBook Pro Blank Screen (Built-in & External)

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by voiceofcraig, Jul 4, 2008.

1. voiceofcraig macrumors newbie

Hey Everyone,

This just happened to me this morning: I was using Boot Camp last night and turned off the computer as I ususally do (no problems or anything). This morning I went to on my computer (I typically use the Macbook Pro lid closed and connected to an external monitor) and there was no image, so I thought it must be a problem with the external monitor connection. I opened the lid, redid the DVI connection and rebooted the computer, but then I saw that there was no image coming through the internal display either (I get the start up chime and hear hard disk activity but the screen remains blank and I can even change the volume).

Here is the link to the Apple Discussion thread where I looked for answers previously and also posted my problem:
    http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?threadID=1478474&tstart=0

I was surprised at the sheer number of other MBP users that were having the same problem. I figured that some of you guys might have had and/or solved this same things, so I thought I would ask for your help

I tried clemson47's solution (from the Apple Discussion thread) by connecting it to an old iBook and messing with the sleepimage file, but that didn't work, and I got the firmware upgrade long enough ago that that cannot be the problem. PRAM reset did nothing, I never changed the Apple RAM, so that's not the issue. It's just frustrating that it was working perfectly fine and then it now fails to boot up (I could almost understand if the screen went out while I was using the computer). I keep my MBP's internal fans at 4000 rpm and use an external laptop cooler. I could manage replacing the hard drive (yay for Time Machine), but this display issue really puts a damper on everything.

I know about the Nvidia GPU issues, but it seems like a coincidence that that would happen to me days after Nvidia announced that they were having problems with old video cards (especially since they did not say which cards were affected).

My one year warranty just expired a month ago, so I am really trying to find a solution that doesn't involve me spending two months of my student income.

Is there any way to tell if it is a logic board problem or a display problem? And are there any other solutions that anyone has stumbled across?

Thanks a ton.

2. lag1090 macrumors 6502

The funny thing is, the same exact thing has happened to me today (posting from an ancient iMac G4). I figure waiting a few days with no power connected may help, but I fear that I'm ultimately going to have to dump the hard drive via Firewire target disk mode and send it in for service.

Depending on the documentation available for the problem, including the recent NVIDIA announcement, you may be able to persuade Apple into repairing it free of charge, given the circumstances. Just try calling AppleCare to see what they can do.

If they still give you a problem, you can always email Steve Jobs.

3. Teej guy macrumors 6502a

The is GPU dead, exactly the same thing happened to me, nothing on the screen, nothing on the external output but the computer is running fine otherwise. The only solution is to replace the motherboard. That's why I bought the 3 year warranty after it happened to me, luckily within the first year. Hopefully you'll be able to convince someone at Apple to get it fixed for you since it's a defective part and it's a huge story.

Good luck mate, that really blows :(

4. FreeState macrumors 68000

FreeState

This just happened to me on my Mac Book Pro that is just under 1 year old. I can see it with screen sharing or even see it with my iPhone's VNC Light program. I took it in today (but had to just drop it off since they literally only have one person helping with Macs at the store and 20+ on iPhones..)

Im guessing its the video card (with screen share the wallpaper is blue instead of a chosen image)

5. lucero1148 macrumors member

The only way Apple will replace the motherboard would be if there's a class action suit on replacing the faulty Nvidia chip. Corporate policy will dictate what they do with your problem and since you're out of warranty the only thing they can do is charge you for everything. Even if they do the right thing for the customer and replace the motheboard FOC they'll probably charge you for the labor to do it.

Even though they do replace your motherboard the problem will still exist and possibly haunt you once again in the future because the motherboard hasn't been redesigned with a fool proof fix of the problem to begin with. The problem which can all be traced to Nvidia's chipset.
    Patrick