MacBook Pro & Blue Ray

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by unra8ted, Feb 27, 2008.

1. unra8ted macrumors newbie

I am curious. If/when the MacBook Pro supports a Blue Ray drive will I be able to upgrade my existing drive in me MBP?

2. SVT Amateur macrumors 6502

Well, technically yes, but cost would probably keep you from doing so.

3. willy81 macrumors newbie

I was wondering the same. I talked to someone at my university bookstore and he wasn't too encouraging. It seems to me that once a drive is made for that purpose, you could just drop it in. Is it really more complicated than that? (Not to hijack your thread, but this is the only question delaying my purchace of a MBP)

4. puke macrumors regular

I don't get why people want a blu-ray reader in their laptops... It's not needed, blu-ray is so new, it is so costy. get a macbook pro now and wait 3-4 years and replace your current one with a new one (by then they are optimized and as normal as normal dvds are now).

To get back to your topic, it will probably be possible to put a blu-ray rader in your mbp when it gets released if they dont change the design of the mbp. Altho, it's a tricky thing and might cost you your mbp if youre not careful. It's easy enough to open up the computer but to replace let alone replace as in not professional can be tricky.

And the reader itself will be expensive when it's as new as it actually is.

5. UltraNEO* macrumors 601

UltraNEO*

Also lack of software support will render the hardware rather useless, at pressent.
    Currently only Toast 8 supports BR, even then it's just for burning.

6. NamisloC macrumors newbie

Hmm... what would be the cost of a BR burner?

7. UltraNEO* macrumors 601

UltraNEO*

Umm... depends if your feeling wealthy...

8. NamisloC macrumors newbie

WHOA! and at like $25 a disk, it's going to be tough days ahead for bootleggers lol!!

9. UltraNEO* macrumors 601

UltraNEO*

Hmm... well there are 25Gb ($15〜$20) and 50Gb ($20〜$40) discs available NOW!

I heard TDK are working on 100Gb discs, however what on earth would you store on a write once 100Gb disc? and how much will they be... OMG that would be a expansive coaster!

10. NamisloC macrumors newbie

It could be used for special purposes. For instance an entire Trilogy on one disc. I would love to condense my DVD collection a little, I hate carrying around those DVDs to work and what not.

11. UltraNEO* macrumors 601

UltraNEO*

Buy yourself a Samsung 500Gb 2.5" HD, it's SATAII connection is fast!
    House it in a cheap case with eSATA/USB, buy a LaCie eSATA card for MBP and bob's ya uncle... and no coasters to worry about. ;)

12. NamisloC macrumors newbie

I have >750gb of external HDD but I can't justify keeping video_TS files once I've burned the disk. Eats up too much space, too fast.

13. UltraNEO* macrumors 601

UltraNEO*

Well... I don't really keep anything, if i lose something like a movie, I'll just re-download it. It's not like it'll take long!! i'm on optical fibre getting near 120Mb/s on this baby and it's bandwidth ain't capped.

14. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

The blu-ray burner is $950 direct from Matsushita. You can buy Toast with Bluray playback support.

15. Watabou macrumors 68040

Watabou

16. bobbleheadbob macrumors 6502a

bobbleheadbob

Is there an external drive option for a BR drive that would work with a MBP?

What about thoughts on any anticipated price drops? These things have got to start coming down in $$$ soon, don't they? :confused: :eek:

17. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

There won't be drops on burners for at least a whole year, and readers may take half a year; the market is too small right now.

Also to read more than 2-layers requires upgrades in firmware at least, but I think it may come down to hardware too.

18. UltraNEO* macrumors 601

UltraNEO*

For the MacBook Pro you need a Blu-Ray slot-loader that's 7mm* thick. If you get the normal one, the top-case won't close because the bluetooth antenna is in the way.

*correction.. should be 9.5mm ;)

19. zankty macrumors newbie

Many said the same thing when the first 1 GB HDDs came out and later the same thing about DVD Writers.

Personally I've decided to buy a new MacBook Pro once they have Blu-Ray readers. I guess it will take about a year or so.

20. ^squirrel^ macrumors 6502a

^squirrel^

Rather than starting a new thread, i thought i'd add my question here....

When the MBP gets Bluray, do you think we'll see the 17" and the mid range 15" inherit the Bluray drive and the bottom spec 15" upgrade to the Super Drive?

Or will Bluray be an expensive upgrade for all models?

21. Abraxsis macrumors 6502

Abraxsis

9.5mm for the 15"MBP
    12.7mm for all else

22. Abraxsis macrumors 6502

Abraxsis

I would imagine that at first it will be a very expensive upgrade, the current BR upgrade (12.7mm so its not going in a 15" MPB) is 1000.00 via 3rd Party. I would imagine, given normal costs, a good estimate would be 399.00 in a BTO macbook/pro, when the time comes. The time line I see for BR is the following ...

1. Mac Pro adoption by end of 2008 (as an upgrade) (Burner as UG mid 2009)
    2. imac by mid year 2009
    3. Pro Laptops shortly thereafter
    4. All else by end of 2009 as upgrade.

I currently dont see blueray BURNERS stock until at least end of 2009 mid 2010 when costs have come to a point where Apple and the rest of the manu. will see significant saturation of the format. Not to mention sufficient saturation of HD across the entire A/V market.