MacBook Pro Boot Camp gaming setup question.

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Poogis, Feb 6, 2008.

1. Poogis macrumors member

Hello.

I have a MacBook Pro 2.2 with a 120gb HDD and had initially set it up so that I have a 20gb Windows Ultimate Boot Camp partition with the rest for Leopard.

However. My wife has just bought me some excellent PC gaming bargains - Command & Conquer 3 and Star Wars Collector's Edition (Empire at War, Republic Commando and 3 or 4 others on various DVDs) and after the Windows Ultimate and Command & Conquer 3 install, I only have a couple of gig left on my hard drive and all these games require installations of about 3 to 5gb each!

What I am basically after is advice on what my options are in terms of running games from an external hard drive or if I need to reinstall and re-adjust the partitions (even then it won't be much from a 120gb hard drive).

I look forward to your feedback and thanks.

2. tersono macrumors 68000

tersono

You can run Windows games or other apps from a Windows-formatted external drive (just do a custom install and enter your preferred installation path), but do bear in mind that anything requiring lots of disk access is going to be slower than it would be running from your internal drive.

It has to be said that 20gb isn't a lot of space for Vista Ultimate - the minimum recommendation is 40gb. Note that XP not only takes less space but tends to be faster too.

3. Poogis thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for the advice.

Would a FW800 drive still be slower than the 5400rpm drive in my MacBook Pro?

4. ^squirrel^ macrumors 6502a

^squirrel^

As far as im aware, you cannot install Windows onto a Firewire drive.

5. Denali9 macrumors member

Fw800

If you install and run your game from a FW 800, you should not see a big difference. I run a few very old game from FW 400 and it's not giving me any problem. I have a similar setup where I gave Vista Home Premium 20 GB and I have to manage space very carefully.