Macbook pro Boot Camp Question!!

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Tvt5043, Dec 5, 2008.

1. Tvt5043 macrumors member

I need some assistance with geting boot camp to work so any answer will help.

I am at the part in Boot Camp Assistant where is says "Instert your Windows installation disk and click installation". My problem is that I don't have the Windows Xp disk,

SO my question is that can I just download windows XP offonline form this site I know and use it for bootcamp. If so how am I going about to do this once I download the Xp.

thanks for answers!

2. dubhe macrumors 65816

dubhe

You need the disk to format the partition and do all the other windows things it needs before installing the OS. And presumably an activation code.

Who know, apple may have written Boot Camp to protect MS from piracy...

3. Tvt5043 thread starter macrumors member

ehh... is there any other way to get boot camp working without spending money on windows xp?

4. OmahaGTP macrumors member

Gotta pay to play.:rolleyes:

5. dubhe macrumors 65816

dubhe

Disgusting isn't it, MS spend millions writing a piece of software, that became quite popular, and then you have to pay to use it :eek:

If it hurts you that much buy an OEM pack, much cheaper :)

6. OmahaGTP macrumors member

If you are a student, you might be able to get a free copy. I have a free Windows XP and Vista Business license. But I ended up buying an OEM Vista Ultimate for my home computer/boot camp partition. MWave.com has/had good prices.

7. Tvt5043 thread starter macrumors member

your right...you just remind me that my school offer free softwares to students. Ill try this at school and see what happens. thanks for the replies everyone.

8. allanibanez macrumors regular

Just on a sidenote to this. I have a legitimate copy of XP that i got from work; it is on two cd's however. I know XP normally comes on one disc, so will using a copy that is split onto two cd's cause any issues or will it just ask me to pop the second in after the first is complete?

9. kauthor macrumors newbie

10. allanibanez macrumors regular

Excellent. The only reason im bootcamping is because i have certain software which is only pc based not mac (Adobe Audition is one of them). Ironically the prime reason i bought a mac was because i needed certain mac based software that wasn't pc based.

Atleast this way i can run the two OS's easily unlike trying to get a hackintosh