MacBook Pro boot issue

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by sambo89, Aug 17, 2014.

1. sambo89 macrumors newbie

Hi

I'm having a frustrating time with my mack book this afternoon. My partner was using it to study and it suddenly turned itself off, when trying to tern it back on the start up chime would sound, the apple logo would display and then it just dies.
    I've tried accessing the recovery drive, but it does the same thing, I've tried using command+S but it show for 3-4 seconds and then dies. I tried accessing the bootcamp partition and again as soon as it shows windows is starting it dies again.

So i tried pulling the drive out and connecting it to my pc, naturally I can't do much with the HFS+ partitions but I ran chkdsk on the windows partition and it shows no errors. I guess I should mention that the drive itself is a Sandisk extreme 2 SSD.

So now I'm re-downloading an image for mavericks hoping that i can get it to boot, I'm not to worried as everything is backed up to my timecapsule, itunes match and icloud and the drive itself has a 5 year warranty, and most web searches only seem to talk about faulty drives, but would anyone have any idea if it could be something else?

It's a 17inch macbook pro late 2011 model.

Any advice would be great.

2. yjchua95 macrumors 604

Radeongate has hit your MBP.

The early/late-2011 15"/17" MBPs with the Radeon GPU have a manufacturing flaw which causes the GPU to fail.

The only real solution is to reball a new GPU in with leaded solder.

Logic board replacements from Apple won't work because the replacement boards still have the manufacturing flaw.

3. sambo89 thread starter macrumors newbie

So are you saying there isn't much to be done, or can it be fixed, i.e get a new GPU and someone can install it?

4. yjchua95 macrumors 604

Both are more or less correct.

If you can't find a reballer, you're out of luck.

If you can, send it in and have him solder a new GPU in with leaded solder. Also have him reapply the thermal paste on the GPU and CPU, considering that the logic board's taken out during the reballing already.

5. sambo89 thread starter macrumors newbie

I just noticed that I still have extended apple care, so I guess I can always get them to deal with the issue for the moment, but then I dunno lol

6. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

If you're using it, and it suddenly turned off, that's not right. I'd definitely ring apple up on this. You have the warranty why not use it.