Macbook Pro Boot Problem, Please Help

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by 61132, May 20, 2008.

1. 61132 Guest

Ok, I have been having some problems with my Macbook Pro, and it's out of warranty, so Apple won't help without paying them first. It's a MBP 15 inch, 2.16ghz with 2gb ram.

What happens, is when I turn the computer off correctly, then try to start it back up, the boot process hangs at startup, gets to the turning gear, and then shuts off. I re-installed leopard on a new hard drive, and the same problem occurs. I bought disk warrior, and rebuilding the directory structure fixes the problem, but the same problem comes back the next time I shut down. This is really getting frustrating, I hope it's a simple fix, not really in the position right now to buy a new computer, and I want to try to wait until the pro notebooks have a design update.

Any ideas on what could be causing this problem? ANY help would be appreciated!

2. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

Wirelessly posted (BB-8830: BlackBerry8830/4.2.2 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/105)

3rd party RAM or Apple RAM?

3. 61132 thread starter Guest

I have OWC and apple ram mixed, but I removed the OWC ram and the problem still occurs. I was hoping it was that simple, this is my main computer for both work and school. Although I have everything backed up via timemachine and DVD's, this is my main computer I use everyday, so I need to fix this, or find a way to buy a new one.

4. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

You replaced the harddrive, and installed a vanilla install of Leopard, or used your backup?

Anything in the logs that might indicate where the problem is?

5. 61132 thread starter Guest

Installed from the disk, and only copied my files over to it, not anything else (didn't use time machine restore)

6. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

And if you install from disc and just use the machine for a while as a test, does it still exhibit this issue?

7. e12a macrumors 68000

e12a

try an SMC and PRAM reset.

if you or your friend has an intel mac try target booting from their system via firewire and see if the issue happens again. If it does then its a hardware issue.

8. 61132 thread starter Guest

Yes

9. 61132 thread starter Guest

Did both resets. I cannot do target booting because this is the only intel mac in the house. I don't think it would boot anyways, as I need to rebuild the filesystem before it will boot. Somehow everytime I shut down the filesystem gets corrupt.

10. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

New, vanilla install of OS X, reset all the ROM kinda stuff and it's still a problem?

High probability of a hardware problem, IMO.

Since you've already replaced the HD and back to original RAM, you've about exhausted the low-hanging fruit.

Unfortunately, I think a trip to your nearest Apple Certified Repair center is in order.
    :(

11. 61132 thread starter Guest

That's what I was thinking, along the lines of the main board. If it does come to that, figuring in the computer is about 2-2.5 years old, would replacing the computer be a better idea? I found a 17 inch macbook pro high density glossy screen, 160gb hd, 2gb ram, 2.6ghz core 2 duo processor, 256mb video memory, for $2500, less than what I paid for my 15 inch new. I just hate the idea of spending too many $$$ for a new main board when the computer is coming on 3 years old. Just thinking out loud here.

12. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

Well, it's still possible that it's the Apple RAM.
    Have you tried the OWC stick only?
    Or tried MemtestOSX?

But in the end, a new logic board could cost (guessing here) $700+labor?

13. 61132 thread starter Guest

14. anirban macrumors 6502a

anirban

Seems like this is a good time to have it looked by an Apple tech.

15. drt525 macrumors newbie

I have had the same exact problem with MacBook Pro 2.16 GHz Intel Core Duo laptop. I took the computer to an Apple store and in 2 days I got it back and they told me there was nothing wrong with it. I did not have these problems until I upgraded from Tiger to Leopard. I was wondering if you found a solution to the problem. I have temporarily downgraded back to Tiger and everything is running fine. It is very irritating that I paid for the software and I can’t fully use it. Oh, just a side note: I installed Leopard on my first generation iMac G5, not one problem.

16. e12a macrumors 68000

e12a

oh gosh I dont even remember posting in this thread, but since it's been bumped..

I meant to target boot from another intel mac onto yours, meaning the other machine is in Target boot mode, and your computer is booting up from their hard drive and operating system. Your computer's hard drive could be completely toast but you can still boot from another intel mac via targetboot. Assuming your hardware is okay this should work.