MacBook Pro boot up help needed

Discussion in 'macOS' started by peruvit, Jun 30, 2015.

1. peruvit macrumors newbie

Hey guys, Im a college student. On moving out day I found that some one had thrown out a MacBook Pro. Took it home and realized why. It doesnt start up. It stays on a white screen for about 6 to 8 minutes and then goes to the apple logo and then shows a circle with a slash through it. I try to boot in safe mode and recovery mode but it wont go into those modes. It just repeats the same boot up. Im wondering if there is anything i can do to salvage this laptop or is it done for. Thanks in advance guys.

2. goforet, Jan 2, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 2, 2016

goforet macrumors newbie

I've had my 2009 macbook pro start exhibiting the same issue. Have you got any solutions yet?

3. bobdamnit macrumors regular

When this happens, it is because the computer could not find a startup folder on the hard drive. A few things could have caused this. The primary being a corrupted or damaged hard disk drive. The secondary being a user unwittingly deleted it. (Improbably, but not impossible.)

I'd start by replacing the hard drive and reinstalling OS X.

4. Fishrrman macrumors G4

Fishrrman

OP:

Do you have ANOTHER Mac?
    Do you have an external drive?

My suggestion:
    You need an external drive with a bootable version of the OS on it.
    Connect this to the MacBook and see if you can get it to boot that way.

5. goforet macrumors newbie

6. goforet macrumors newbie

Thank you. This is what I have done, I was able to put the OS on a smaller SSD which I had and replaced the HD with this one. Bingo, she's off and running.