MacBook Pro & Bootcamp = Hang ?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by retrospek, Feb 14, 2009.

1. retrospek macrumors 6502

retrospek

Hi all,

Last week I bought a 15" Macbook Pro (2.4Ghz). The idea was that I would use OSX for my personal stuff and use Windows Vista (via Bootcamp) for all of my work stuff.

However, once I had installed Vista (and Bootcamp) I kept finding the machine would hang. Almost as soon as I went into Vista it would hang and I would have to 'Hard' reboot the machine. I tried installing Vista probably 4 times and everytime I would have an issue. I even tried installing Win 7 but still had the hang issue.

In the end the shop I bought the Macbook from sent an engineer and they also couldn't install Vista without it hanging after a while.. So they agreed to give me my money back ...

So my question is ... Is this a common problem ? and are a number of you having issues with Vista (and bootcamp) hanging on a Macbook Pro ?

I really want to buy another Macbook 15", but can't if it won't run Windows as I need it for work (and running through a VM isn't an option!)...

Am I alone with this 'hanging' issue ?

Thanks,

2. sickmacdoc macrumors 68020

sickmacdoc

One question- did you install the Boot Camp Update 2.1 (which is a package of drivers in an .exe file to be installed while in Windows)? Apple has a version of it for XP SP3, another for Vista 32 Bit and another for Vista 64 bit on the right side of the page at Boot Camp Support. The way you described it it made me wonder if it was a hanging driver issue since so many people have used Vista successfully on MBPs.

I have it running fine on a MB, but not a Pro so hopefully someone running it on a Pro will have experienced something similar and can provide more help- or can at least assure you that it is fine on an MBP!

3. ayeying macrumors 601

ayeying

I have it running fine for Vista x64 on my system. It does hang if I leave it on overnight but beyond that it doesn't hang at all.

4. retrospek thread starter macrumors 6502

retrospek

Hi,

Yes I was running 2.1 version of bootcamp (with the additional trackpad update).

I just don't understand why my Macbook Pro had this issue with Vista where it would hang after a few minutes.

Even the engineer that came to my house (who normally works on Mac's) said he didn't know why this was happening.

I really want a Macbook Pro. but only if it will work with Vista.. :confused:

5. Flugelmeister macrumors newbie

I get this problem intermittently running Vista 32bit, just hangs sometimes once a week sometimes 3 times a day. Just nuked & rebuilt the machine for the 3rd time and clean installed + all the usual MS Office programs and happens again... Dammit! Colleague has the exact same setup & no problems... might be a hardware issue?

6. iLog.Genius macrumors 601

iLog.Genius

It could be a hardware failure but have you tried using a different install disc? Was it copied or retail? I know that question sounds silly but I've had a few people have problems and asked them to try another disc and the problem never came back. It's a long shot but it's worth a try.

7. urowgn macrumors newbie

I have successfully installed Vista x64 and now 7 x64. I use 7 everyday for work via vmware and it works almost perfectly, except upon initial start up where the window goes crazy for a few seconds.

Must be something wrong with your hardware.

8. rizalsyahri macrumors newbie

i found my way out ...wink wink..

Hi All,

am just here to share some tought..i've also came accross same issues whereby win7 hang in bootcamp..the screen freeze and everything stop workin after few second when window load.

after done trying so many option..finally i found my way out of it..and wish to share it with u guys :D.

so as a solution..u may try to do this.

reboot the system..
    once window load..quickly go to start and run "msconfig"

after that ..go to the startup tab..
    uncheck the "bootcamp" or u may click "disable all"
    then..click ok..exit and restart..

but u need to do it very quick..or else it start to freeze again:mad:

after restart..
    everything will be perfect :D..
    except for that..u dont have the bootcamp app for ur trackpad and theres no restart in mac os mode for bootcamp..so need to restart manually :D

thats work for me and i did it to all 6 macbook pro at my client place. they just love it..

happy trying..

9. billhowells macrumors newbie

mcabook bootcamp xp died

hi i have the latest 13inch macbook and i tried to install windows xp through bootcamp,
    it seemed to install fine but it apparently could not finish the installation.
    i tried to quit and restart back onto snow leopard but it just came up with a white screen with a flashing logo

any ideas??